• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Best Buy deal could add $400M to Apple's top line

Reaction score
If Apple Computer's pilot program at Best Buy retail stores proves to be a success, a full expansion could generate as much as $400 million in additional Mac sales for the company each year, says one Wall Street analyst.

In a research note released to clients on Thursday, Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca Runkle compared the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's US retail store coverage to that of Best Buy's. She found that at a bare minimum, a full distribution partnership with the electronics retailer would add 100,000 new Mac sales and $160 million in annual revenue for Apple.

Link to full story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
It would be interesting to see how that would work out. About a year ago our Best buy sold Mac minis but it was short lived.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
They have been pimpin Mac/Bestbuy (performed by one of the disc jockeys)commercials on the local radio station I listen to here in LA.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
alucard said:
It would be interesting to see how that would work out. About a year ago our Best buy sold Mac minis but it was short lived.

I am glad that Jobs came up with the idea to open up Apple stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coltssaturday said:
I am glad that Jobs came up with the idea to open up Apple stores.

Yes. I think that is one reason why more people are switching to Macs. You have everything in one place. the one in ouor mall is always packed. I never see it slow. I bought my wife an iMac about 5 year ago (the one with the round base). She liked it but it was very hard for her to learn the new interface and not many programs were out for it that she wanted. Fast forward to now and when we bought her macbook at the Apple Store they emailed us a little getting started guide, we got the Pro Care and got some one on one training. I wish they had all this 5 years ago. We would have been experts by now :)

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
alucard said:
.......I wish they had all this 5 years ago. We would have been experts by now :)

You will be in the next 5 years. LOL! :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coltssaturday said:
You will be in the next 5 years. LOL! :yinyang:

HAHA! True :)

I keep trying to think of ways to make the company I work for switch to Macs. It'll never happen, but here's to dreamin'.

Although since I have switched, two other co workers have switched their home computers to Mac's. So you never know.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
alucard said:
HAHA! True :)

I keep trying to think of ways to make the company I work for switch to Macs. It'll never happen, but here's to dreamin'.

Although since I have switched, two other co workers have switched their home computers to Mac's. So you never know.

Thats ok that you haven't convinced the whole company but for a good start 2 is good. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Note that CompUSA sells Macs in store as well. Certainly the local CompUSA closest to me seems to staff their Mac area (a very well defined, Mac dedicated corner of the store) with real Mac people - they seem VERY knowledgable to a switcher like myself, not the usual generalist sales person.

So, if Best Buy can do the same thing, and impress people with the quality of the showroom floor for Macs and the quality of the sales people, they could do quite well. I think they need to try to recreate something of the Apple Store experience in a small "store-let" within the store. This is what CompUSA seems to strive for, and I have been very happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I think Mac's in Best Buy would be a great thing. Defintely would increase mac users and let them all know the greatness behind them. Gives the customer and best buy more variety also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
mac57 said:
Note that CompUSA sells Macs in store as well. Certainly the local CompUSA closest to me seems to staff their Mac area (a very well defined, Mac dedicated corner of the store) with real Mac people - they seem VERY knowledgable to a switcher like myself, not the usual generalist sales person.

So, if Best Buy can do the same thing, and impress people with the quality of the showroom floor for Macs and the quality of the sales people, they could do quite well. I think they need to try to recreate something of the Apple Store experience in a small "store-let" within the store. This is what CompUSA seems to strive for, and I have been very happy with it.

*Rolls on floor laughing*

You've gotta be kidding me... CompUSA has the worst-staffed Mac sections in all of retail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Its probably a store-by-store thing, but our local CompUSA has a fellow there every weekend who is a Mac zealot. He gives Mac lectures at the store, is a tireless proponent of Macs, and will talk your ear off about how wonderful they are, with real facts to back it up, even if there is clearly no hope of a sale today. No, some CompUSAs are doing this VERY well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to_tough_to_die said:
*Rolls on floor laughing*

You've gotta be kidding me... CompUSA has the worst-staffed Mac sections in all of retail.

I hate CompUSA. Bad experience as a kid with them. I wouldn't mind if they went out of business. I dont have experience with them in regards to Mac's but with PC stuff NONE of the people in ours seems to know anything. You ask them a question and they give you the "dear in the headlights look." I only go if i absolutely need something. And thats after i try Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot and Office Max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I dont know about selling macs at bestbuy. With all the apple stores opening up around the US I think they have been exposed enough. Bestbuy may not sell very well because they may not be able to offer free printers ipods or educational discounts. I dont think it is a good idea. Plus when my local bestbuy started to sell mac minis they were soon outdated, they were not even running tiger. Nobody was buying them

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
mac57 i agree with you about compusa but i think wouldn't you also like it if there were all macs in a store if you wanted to buy so you would have choices.

I don't know about compusa's customer service but i like Apple's stores.

I would prefer Apple's store over any store like bestbuy or compusa because it is Apple's store where you buy Apple stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Personally, I think offering Macs for sale at BestBuy does the brand image no good at all. It's like selling a _________ (insert nice new car brand/model) on a corner used car lot, just because they're on every corner. I have yet to encounter anyone with a brain at BestBuy. CompUSA is just a step up, but not much of one. Though there aren't a lot of MicroCenter stores around, I have found those folks to be the next best thing to an Apple store. There may be other outlets for Macs as well, but if you want to maintain a high-end image, I think you need to sell through what at least *looks* like a high-end outlet.

Mark

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
geekboy2000 said:
Personally, I think offering Macs for sale at BestBuy does the brand image no good at all. It's like selling a _________ (insert nice new car brand/model) on a corner used car lot, just because they're on every corner. I have yet to encounter anyone with a brain at BestBuy. CompUSA is just a step up, but not much of one. Though there aren't a lot of MicroCenter stores around, I have found those folks to be the next best thing to an Apple store. There may be other outlets for Macs as well, but if you want to maintain a high-end image, I think you need to sell through what at least *looks* like a high-end outlet.

Mark

I don't think it hurts Apple's image if it sells at bestbuy and compusa but customer service probably isn't as good as offered by Apple stores.

I don't have MicroCenter stores around my area so i don't know about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i just hope that the sales folks are held to the same standards as apple store employees, almost every one i have dealt with at an apple store are more than helpful, fun, and nice.

worst buy employees on the other hand have always been rude, unresponsive, unavailable and just dont care.

it would be cool if apple had its own genius's and employees working at the worst buys.
-chris

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
coach_z said:
i just hope that the sales folks are held to the same standards as apple store employees, almost every one i have dealt with at an apple store are more than helpful, fun, and nice.

worst buy employees on the other hand have always been rude, unresponsive, unavailable and just dont care.

it would be cool if apple had its own genius's and employees working at the worst buys.
-chris

Agree, thats why i prefer to go to Apple stores to look at macs instead of worst buys. :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
coach_z said:

-chris

Sounds like the Fry's employees. Having family that work at Comp USA, I know that often times the people on the floor in the Apple section are reps from Apple and not Comp USA employees. That may just be here in California though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.