• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to halt sale of some products in Europe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Apple Computer will be forced to discontinue the sale of several products in Europe next month because they fail to meet compliance with a European Union directive that will go into effect on July 1st, AppleInsider has learned.

In 2003, the European Union adopted the Directive on the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment, also known as the RoHS directive.

Effective July 1, 2006, the directive prohibits the sale of electronics that contain hazardous materials such as lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium and brominated flame retardants.

"Because of our precautionary approach to substances, Apple was able to meet many of the RoHS restrictions long before the deadline of July 1, 2006," the company said in a statement on its environmental materials Web site.

However, sources tell AppleInsider that a handful of Apple products will not meet all the requirements and will therefore be withdrawn from sale in Europe. These products include the iSight, AirPort Base Station With Modem, AirPort Base Station Power Over Ethernet & Antenna, iPod shuffle External Battery Pack and all versions of the eMac all-in-one desktop computer.

Sources say Apple will not accept new orders for the aforementioned products beyond June 23 in order to assure that all orders ship prior to the RoHS deadline.

Although the products will no longer be available through Apple Europe after June 23, they may continue to be sold in through the company's retail channels for as long as existing inventory lasts, sources added.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I work at a place that does hazardous and non-haz chemical waste disposal (among other things) and as nasty as some of those substances are, they are extremely common. Does this not also appy to other electronics manufacturers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
ezhangin said:
I work at a place that does hazardous and non-haz chemical waste disposal (among other things) and as nasty as some of those substances are, they are extremely common. Does this not also appy to other electronics manufacturers?

RoHS applies to everyone. The company I work for subs out a lot of work for plating, and quite a few of our customers need to be RoHS compliant. It's jumped the cost of some of our plating jobs by up to four times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am sure that dell and hp etc. are all dealing with the same issues that apple is on this one
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, I heard about this story, but strangely enough, we haven't heard about any EOL's at work yet...

But then again, maybe they have enough in stock to last a while... all of those products are probably likely due for an upgrade soon anyway, so it wasn't worth redesigning them specifically for this EU regulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Well there is no emac for sale in the UK anymore so thats one thing thats right.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
none of those procucts (minus the airport) are essential to their lineup though, and i'm sure a good replacement for the airport will come out soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Yeah but what if people over here in the EU wanna use an isight say with their powermac or mac mini? Or any other older mac with no built in isight?

J

jlbrew3

yeah

i wouldnt be devistated if i learned that I wasnt going to be able to buy any more emacs....not that I have every owned one before so i guess i wouldnt know how good they are or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can't buy the emac anywhere anymore AFAIK, as it's generally been discontinued by apple.

Apparently apple has a fairly large supply of the affected products, so I don't think it will make much of a difference for quite some time yet...

Reaction score
Times like this make me happy that Switzerland isn't in the EU ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
It says Mercury isn't allowed, but isn't that what's used to light the backlit keyboard on the MacBook Pro?

P

pielariane

According to AppleInsider, new versions of iSight responding to the EU criteria should be available soon... They were also believed to start shipping by the end of October. I personnally live in France and am waiting to buy an iSight... Does anyone know anything about a possible release date?

P

pbook24

The isight has started shipping again in US, and no distinct differences that i can see(mine fnally came after almost 2 months.) but i have to ship it off to my sister at college so we can video conference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.