• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Apl. commercials need a new face?

Reaction score
ok, so the new apple commercials are funny. i will grant them that. but they, at least in my opinion, are getting a little bland. now, i love the guy who represents PC's. but i have to say that the Mac guy's attitude is getting kinda old for me.

i'll elaborate [briefly]...when the PC guy says some self embarassing statement the apple guy gives him that "your an idiot and pretty much everyone sees it but you" look. which is funny, dont get me wrong. but after some 8-10 commercials he always has the same attitude towards the PC guy. nothing new.

what would i do if i was in the marketing department at apple you ask? well, i would replace the characters. i would find a different bland tweed wearing guy to play the PC role. and another hip, artsy, sarcastic actor to represent Mac's. but his sarcasm towards the PC actor would be totally different and individual.

to me the commercials are kinda repeating themselves.

[discuss]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I actually agree with that a little bit. They are all the same, really nothing novel, one from the next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah; but then again, the relationship has to be emphasized....i guess is the thinking.....

however, the best advertising would be showing a clip of some sucker using XP and then that same person using OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly prefer having pc users stay as they are... the community is a lot nicer without them. So really, crappy commercials.. I should be all for them!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am that way with a lot of Windows people, only people I really respect do I suggest to try a Mac and OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Graphite said:
I honestly prefer having pc users stay as they are... the community is a lot nicer without them. So really, crappy commercials.. I should be all for them!

Agreed, it's kind of like being in college and listening to this really great band. Nobody know about them but you and your close friends. Then suddenly, they hit it big and everyone is a "fan". That sucks. I hope it doesn't happen to Apple. They're my garageband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't mind fresh, new faces looking to use Macs.
I DO mind the "die-hard" Windows users who keep trying to make their Mac experience as similar to their Windows experience as possible.
The whole point of using a new OS is to embrace it and learn how the new OS operates and functions.
Forget about what you used to do and just focus on the new experience.
:black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
D3v1L80Y said:
I DO mind the "die-hard" Windows users who keep trying to make their Mac experience as similar to their Windows experience as possible.
The whole point of using a new OS is to embrace it and learn how the new OS operates and functions.

Agreed completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
D3v1L80Y said:

I agree as well. I am that die hard PC guy. I still have to deal with PC's since i'm a net admin for a company, but when i switched (my home computers) from PC to Mac i went in telling myself not to compare the two OS's, XP and OSX. The two hardest parts for me was 1. no drive letters and 2. to install (or uninstall) you just copy or remove the folder. (why can't bill figure out how to do that?)

Since i have been using the OSX for a few weeks now I am loving it and even though sometimes i get stumped on how to do something i come here and find the answer (after doing a search of course :) )

Even though i am very new to the Mac world i do get irratated when people say "But on my windows machine i could do this....." Well, IT ISN'T WINDOWS!

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled program......

L

Logan

D3v1L80Y said:

Unfortunately Mac alone doesn't provide all the needs of every user.
I want to run Ancestral Quest. What do I do? Is there a OS X specific that loads this geneology information, ideally free?

I want to play Magic: The Gathering. It barely runs on Windows XP, every attempt at using WINE or any OS X port no luck.

I really enjoy Mac OS X. I think the UI is smooth and clear, the overall simplistic mentality when it comes to just about every aspect of using it is good. I enjoy that I can start up terminal and I'm in a unix bash prompt. I think OS X has a huge possibility to fit every need I want, with one Operating System.

But every other person's need? Not likely. With Bootcamp and the MacTels however you can install almost every OS on Macintosh hardware. This is really cool. Those of you who think you should only use OS X's features is like saying you should only drink Cocoa Cola. There's so many drinks and preferences out there, limiting what a user can do for customization is silly! Some people LIKE window's look and feel. As long as they TRY OS X and realize what it's features are, then it's FINE to keep liking the Windows feel. Look at the Linux KDE/Gnome and a bazillion other window managers for X11, there is constant debate over which is better. I don't think either will ever win, and you can even customize Mac OS X to run KDE/Gnome. That's pretty cool!

So saying "I DO mind the "die-hard" Windows users who keep trying to make their Mac experience as similar to their Windows experience as possible." is not really being open minded. People need to be more open minded, on both sides of the boat. Mac loyaltists that feel that the new features of a mac are BAD is just crazines. Die hard windows users who are using Mac aren't so die hard anymore, are they? I bet they're eating their words, and right now you still get a LOT OF **** if you try to do the switch. Out of all my computer aware friends, only about 20% embraced the fact I was using a Mac product. the other 80% thought I was crazy, that's how non-open minded the world is right now. Having Mac users bashing you TOO for doing the switch and wanting to retain some features is just another icing for the cake. :(

L

Logan

I think that's something the Mac is trying to do too on the commercials. The guy seems pretty sensical, open minded. PC is always.. well, stupid in a lot of it's mentalities.

Something they need to remember with the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC", this isn't really about the hardware. All the features they're talking about are OS X vs. Windows.

I mean, you can put linux on both machines and they'll both have the exact same features. Hardware wise, after the MacTel introduction, the systems are nearly the same thing! Different BIOS, minor hardware tweaks here or there, but fundamentally the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Logan said:
So saying "I DO mind the "die-hard" Windows users who keep trying to make their Mac experience as similar to their Windows experience as possible." is not really being open minded. People need to be more open minded, on both sides of the boat. ....... Having Mac users bashing you TOO for doing the switch and wanting to retain some features is just another icing for the cake. :(
I am not bashing anyone. :black:
Of course, one OS isn't going to cover all a peron's needs, all the time.
What I am saying is, that to be open minded one must be open minded to realize that Mac is different. Making it look, feel, operate and work more and more like Windows defeats the purpose of it being different and is being closed-minded about working with OS X and Macs.
Also, when someone does that it makes it harder for them to learn the new OS because they aren't focusing on learning how Mac OS X works, but rather they are trying to make it work like something else and not how it was intended to work.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i think it is great marketing and next round of commercials, maybe in a month or two, will probably be extremely different. and probably emphasise the fact that you can even run windows on it if you want (with the release of leopard)

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
i think it is great marketing and next round of commercials, maybe in a month or two, will probably be extremely different. and probably emphasise the fact that you can even run windows on it if you want (with the release of leopard)

-chris

They now have a commercial where they talk about Mac being able to run Windows: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Look for the one titled Touche

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alucard said:
I agree as well. I am that die hard PC guy. I still have to deal with PC's since i'm a net admin for a company, but when i switched (my home computers) from PC to Mac i went in telling myself not to compare the two OS's, XP and OSX. The two hardest parts for me was 1. no drive letters and 2. to install (or uninstall) you just copy or remove the folder. (why can't bill figure out how to do that?)

Since i have been using the OSX for a few weeks now I am loving it and even though sometimes i get stumped on how to do something i come here and find the answer (after doing a search of course :) )

Even though i am very new to the Mac world i do get irratated when people say "But on my windows machine i could do this....." Well, IT ISN'T WINDOWS!

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled program......

Not every switcher fits in as well as you! There are lots of PC users who really should be Mac users, and we will be glad to have them join our forum :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
Not every switcher fits in as well as you! There are lots of PC users who really should be Mac users, and we will be glad to have them join our forum :)

True.

I hope my post didn't come off rude to anyone. that wasn't my intention. If it did my apologies.

L

Logan

You know I relate the copy/paste-ness of OS X as like good ol' dos days.
You remember that? you'd just copy/paste the folder a DOS game was in and KBAM you would hvea a perfectly working copy of the game?

Good times. OS X makes me feel that again.

In reality though there's items I still need to figure out how to copy.... it isn't as easy as drag-droping items from the Applications folder :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
alucard said:
True.

I hope my post didn't come off rude to anyone. that wasn't my intention. If it did my apologies.
Not rude at all. Makes perfect sense. What you have realized it what so many new Mac users don't.... that Mac is NOT Windows and shouldn't be treated as such. Good job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alucard said:
True.

oh, yeah I was givin u a compliment :biohazard not trying to make you question your forum edict

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
oh yes. i figured they would give even more emphasis on the windows thing. like even show a mac starting up or running xp
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.