Trouble installing XP on Black MacBook....

R

rgivans

I have a legit copy of XP Pro with SP2 (slippstreamed the correct way allready). The CD works great and boots into Windows Installer fine (BIOS part I think its called). Anyways when it gets to the point to ask me about Partitioning it will say "The Disc you inserted is not a valid Windows disc" I hit Enter and it will say it over and over. So Ill hit F3 to cancel the XP install and it will try it all over again, it loads all the Windows files fine in the beginning.

I have made like 5 copies of this disc (even used OS X Disk utility to extract the image off the CD and re-burn it using disc utility) and it still does the same thing.

This happends in Parallels WS and in Boot Camp. One thing I did notice is I am unable to update my MacBook with 10.4.6 Firmware update (it says this drive does not support the update). But it never shows that update in Software Updater.

Any ideas??? I can post screen shots if that will help.

OP
R

rgivans

Part of me thought "Hmmm maybe I should throw the XP Image on a portable HDD, and load it through Parallels that way."

It loaded everything fast as ****.... But I still get the same **** screen once it gets to the point to ask me to partition. What am I doing wrong??

MacBook specs are as follows....

2.0GHz Intel Duo
512MB 667Mhz RAM (going to 2GB when I get XP running).
80GB HDD
13.3" Display
Superdrive DVD-RW

Is my mac to slow to install this or something? Its been awhile since Ive owned a Mac but I did miss it alot (obviously). Any help would be great as I can NOT find the same problem with anyone on google or any other forum. Im so clueless right now. :eek:neye:

OP
L

Logan

Sounds like a bad image all together.
Doesn't sound like your mac is the culprit.

Solutions? Hmmm..................................... borrow a friend's legit SP 2 copy of XP, when it gets to that point plop it in just to see if it continues... perhaps..

Hopefully it's far enough in the installation process to have your CD key on the install, and not your friends.

OP
R

rgivans

Logan said:
Sounds like a bad image all together.
Doesn't sound like your mac is the culprit.

Solutions? Hmmm..................................... borrow a friend's legit SP 2 copy of XP, when it gets to that point plop it in just to see if it continues... perhaps..

Hopefully it's far enough in the installation process to have your CD key on the install, and not your friends.

Im an IT Tech for a mortgage company and I have 20+ legit copies of XP Pro (all new Keys too). Ive tried 3 different discs on this mac.

Is it true you can only do this by creating a slipstreamed copy? It would make more sense to me if you could use the actual OEM disc.

Any ideas?

*Thanks for the reply dude*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
rgivans said:
Is it true you can only do this by creating a slipstreamed copy? It would make more sense to me if you could use the actual OEM disc.

If your OEM disk is the SP2 version then there is no need to make a slipstreamed copy. the copying is only necessary if you have a non SP2 XP install disk.

OP
R

rgivans

jhelm007 said:
If your OEM disk is the SP2 version then there is no need to make a slipstreamed copy. the copying is only necessary if you have a non SP2 XP install disk.

Ahhh ok.... Well hmmm Im going to try all 20 discs until I get one to work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IF the CD is XP SP2 you do not need to slipstream at all. Just put the CD in the drive and use it. Are these OEM CD's or the full XP Pro. When I ran Bootcamp and installed XP I use the Full version and not the OEM.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq0

After reading that URL I am not sure if an OEM will work. Has anyone installed an OEM version of XP on an Intel Mac?

OP
R

rgivans

You know what?? I just got it to work. I used an OEM disc (without SP2) Version 2002 and it loaded and installed fine. Its running XP Pro perfectly now.....

Hmmmmm....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They flat out say it has to be SP2. If you try to install SP2, I am almost sure it will not install. That is what others have said. Good Luck.

OP
R

rgivans

dtravis7 said:
They flat out say it has to be SP2. If you try to install SP2, I am almost sure it will not install. That is what others have said. Good Luck.

Umm it just worked dude. Only through Parallels though, now when I try in Boot Camp it disables the Keyboard (so I cant guide through the install).

Is there anyway Parallels can install on a certain partition? Without being a VM?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The URL I gave you was for Bootcamp. What happens in Parallels I do not know. Never worked with it. I am pretty sure though that Parallels makes a VM file on the HDD. Maybe someone else who has used it can comment farther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
DUDE...

just go buy a FULL copy of Windows XP SP2... it'll work fine. I've read that OEMs don't work, and sometimes, keyboards in general don't work (especially wireless). But that last part goes for ALL XPs. try with a different USB keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
rgivans said:
Umm it just worked dude. Only through Parallels though, now when I try in Boot Camp it disables the Keyboard (so I cant guide through the install).

Is there anyway Parallels can install on a certain partition? Without being a VM?

Yeah parallels will load lots of stuff that bootcamp won't like linux and windows 3.1, 9x, 2000, etc.

Bootcamp can use OEM disks, but it has to be a singl disk full install with sp2

OP
R

rgivans

BlindingLights said:
DUDE...

just go buy a FULL copy of Windows XP SP2... it'll work fine. I've read that OEMs don't work, and sometimes, keyboards in general don't work (especially wireless). But that last part goes for ALL XPs. try with a different USB keyboard.

What do you mean buy a full copy?? I get copies of XP Pro SP2 new every week. I order a ton of them for work everytime we get a new machine. I have plenty of retail XP Pro copies here. All with legit unused serials too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
sorry, just noticed that post sounded kinda nasty, but when you downloaded boot camp, it should have came with a manual. Read through that, it shows all the restrictions, and what is allowed.

I'm not mentioning that you use illegit copies of xp pro sp2, I'm just saying the instructions say that you need a single-disk install of xp pro or home with sp2 on the disk. this is why slipstreamed may not work. also, as i said, sometimes oems don't work.

OP
R

rgivans

BlindingLights said:
sorry, just noticed that post sounded kinda nasty, but when you downloaded boot camp, it should have came with a manual. Read through that, it shows all the restrictions, and what is allowed.

I'm not mentioning that you use illegit copies of xp pro sp2, I'm just saying the instructions say that you need a single-disk install of xp pro or home with sp2 on the disk. this is why slipstreamed may not work. also, as i said, sometimes oems don't work.

Yeah Ive read and re-read the manual. Its helps some what but then again, my keyboard is disabled when Im in the Windows setup.

Thats the part that doesnt make sense. It seems like there is no fix for this. (yet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
BlindingLights said:
DUDE...

i used an oem copy and it installed perfectly. i don't know why it wouldn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
rgivans said:
Do specs have anything to do with it?

i don't know why they would, but i can't say for sure that they don't. did you use a windows xp sp2 oem cd?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.