Imaging Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP- 2.4GHz (13-inch), 8GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0, 2GB, 120GB HD; 2017 iPad 9.7, iPhone 11Pro (64GB)
I purchased the Canon S3 IS yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it since the short time I've been using it.

I'm curious to know from other digital camera users, if you use the software supplied with your camera, or do you use iPhoto or something totally different, and why?

At this point, I surmise I'll only upload the images from my camera to Flickr.

Thanks in advance for your replies/suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I use Adobe Lightroom Beta and iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
lightroom beta is free and works well. never used iphoto, gimp is free and supposed to be good.

If you want to buy an inexpensive software adobe elements cant be beat for under 100.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I use Photoshop quite heavily. I do however do lightweight editing with GIMP. I agree that it is quite good, and very capable. However, you need to load Apple X11 to use it. This is offset by it being FREE! :) If you invest the time and energy into learning it (of course, the same is true of any application), you might be very happy with GIMP alone. Go for the latest, 2.2.11.

Reaction score
software

I like PhotoShop Elements. I highly recommend it.
You can pick up a copy of 2.0 for Mac on Ebay for $20.
It will do everything you want and a lot more. Get started
with this program, learn it, and you will never outgrow
it. If you really get with it, you can upgrade to PhotoShop
CS. PhotoShop is the industry standard for a reason.

I don't care for iPhoto as a file browser. I picked up
QPict and love it. Very inexpensive for a quality
program. http://www.qpict.com

I import my jpg's into PhotoShop, edit them, and then
save them in folders. Then I navigate them with QPict.

Enjoy your new camera !

Chris

OP
Carla
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP- 2.4GHz (13-inch), 8GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0, 2GB, 120GB HD; 2017 iPad 9.7, iPhone 11Pro (64GB)
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I really appreciate it.

I should've mentioned that I currently use Photoshop CS, and am quite fluent with it, in addition to all it's previous versions. I guess I'm bored with it and want to try something new. As some of you have introduced me to other software, I will give those a try, simply because I like trying out new apps.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks for the pointer. I have been looking for a good image browser too, and have failed to find anything I really like. I have fallen back on a number of Open Source X11 programs which are pretty good. QPict looks interesting and somehow I have failed to find it to date. I will check it out.

To Carla, if you are using Photoshop CS already, you of course don't want Photoshop Elements. The same really is true of GIMP. GIMP is rather like PS Elements in capabilities; just a new set of menus to learn, and not nearly as many convenient keyboard shortcuts. The one I miss the most is the dynamic resizing of brushes via the "[" and "]" keys. Photoshop CS is the cadillac. While I understand that you may be bored with it, it is the best. You won't find a better program in this class, other than perhaps CS2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.