Any hope for WMV files?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
alucard said:
You can't blame Apple......Give it a little time and WMV files will be able to play with no problem. Flip4Mac should be coming out with something.

I don't blame Apple. I blame myself for not examining every capability before I bought. I made an assumption that was erroneous. And I am disappointed to learn of the shortcoming. And it certainly is a shortcoming! I would be almost as surprised if I learned my iMac couldn't read word files. Everybody I talked to said "Don't worry about that. Macs can read all your Windows files." Oops.

I will wait.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
asolo said:
I don't blame Apple. I blame myself for not examining every capability before I bought. I made an assumption that was erroneous. And I am disappointed to learn of the shortcoming. And it certainly is a shortcoming! I would be almost as surprised if I learned my iMac couldn't read word files. Everybody I talked to said "Don't worry about that. Macs can read all your Windows files." Oops.

I will wait.

I don't think you will find too many files you can not open in OSX. This whole Windows Media thing like I said is Microsoft stopping support for Media Player for OSX and the company they handed it to being a bit slow converting it over to Universal. In my opinion, Flip4Mac blows away Windows Media Player when it was avalible for OSX. I view videos all the time with it on the net and it works very well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
dtravis7 said:
I don't think you will find too many files you can not open in OSX. This who Windows Media thing like I said is Microsoft stopping support for Media Player for OSX and the company they handed it to being a bit slow converting it over to Universal. In my opinion, Flip4Mac blows away Windows Media Player when it was avalible for OSX. I view videos all the time with it on the net and it works very well.

Thanks for this idea. Perhaps I'll wake up less grumpy tomorrow and give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This must be an Intel Mac only problem? I have Windows Media Player on my G5, and it works just fine. I have not run into any web sites with videos that I cannot play.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
This must be an Intel Mac only problem? I have Windows Media Player on my G5, and it works just fine. I have not run into any web sites with videos that I cannot play.

Thanks for this ray of hope. Was finding it difficult to accept that the entire Mac community was laying down for such an annoying shut-out. Hopefully its just a matter of waiting out this particular development during Intel-iMac transitional period. Buyers of new versions of things always get the green weenie in one way or another.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Someone else already posted this but I will repeat, Flip4Mac ....Its' free and Universal now.....That should solve your problems. ...Also I had no problem viewing JoeCartoon on my imac g5.

Progress report:

Downloaded Flip4mac. Re-booted. Voila! WMV's play just fine. So do ASF's. Having web-content WMV's back is the biggest relief.

Still some trouble, though. MPEG's play with video but no sound. AVI's play with sound but no video. And -- worst of all -- Joe Cartoon plays with no sound.

Mondo Thanks-ola to dtravis7 for sticking around through all my grumps. You made a difference, friend.

I'm seeing the Mac "geniuses" again next week for a another ProCare one-on-one and I'm letting them know about this. They didn't solve the problem -- dtravis7 and cashmonee on this forum did. I think the Apple folks should be MUCH more up-to-speed about this everyone-expects-it capability. A new customer shouldn't have to hunt around a forum like I've just done to learn about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
asolo said:
Progress report:

Downloaded Flip4mac. Re-booted. Voila! WMV's play just fine. So do ASF's. Having web-content WMV's back is the biggest relief.

Still some trouble, though. MPEG's play with video but no sound. AVI's play with sound but no video. And -- worst of all -- Joe Cartoon plays with no sound.

Mondo Thanks-ola to dtravis7 for sticking around through all my grumps. You made a difference, friend.

I'm seeing the Mac "geniuses" again next week for a another ProCare one-on-one and I'm letting them know about this. They didn't solve the problem -- dtravis7 and cashmonee on this forum did. I think the Apple folks should be MUCH more up-to-speed about this everyone-expects-it capability. A new customer shouldn't have to hunt around a forum like I've just done to learn about it.

It's possible that you may need a codec.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.