Dedicated video and audio hard drives?

C

CK AV

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and will be running final cut studio, pro tools LE, and my extensive itunes library on it - as well as other applications (Yes, I have high expectations).

I also purchased a G-Tech 250gig G-Drive to make space for all of my needs. My plan, as of now, is to use this G-Tech drive for video only. It's a 7200rpm firewire 400 drive. In order to possibly prolong the life of this drive and the data that will reside on it, I was thinking of purchasing a second, external hard drive for my iTunes Library/pictures. Simply, I don't want to kill the G-Tech drive in a year because I ran it every day for iTunes. It's easy enough to back-up songs, but video is another story.

To get to the point, would it be wise to dedicate this G-Tech drive to video and dedicate a separate (USB 2.0) drive for music?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-CK AV

OP
P

PhilMac

Originally macs won't allow the use of USB drives as record volumkes within protools. Only windows will allow this so you may be able to use the USB drive on your macbook pro with protools yet if you have high track edits and unconsolidated audio you will experience lags and errors from protools as it will not be aqble to reference the data quickly enough. Don't be fooled into thinking the audio is the easy bit. Modern music production can test a computer.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea you can do that and it could be wise too.

what will really be wise is to pick up FIREWIRE drives. they are way way way faster.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, I would second the use of FW drives on the Mac.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Third.

I edit weddings using an External Firewire drive. It even has an extra Firewire port on it so I can capture through the external drive. Pretty handy.

OP
C

CK AV

Thanks for the replies. I have heard Firewire is the way to go - hence the aquisition of a G-Tech Firewire/USB 2.0 HD.

I also currently own a Hammer 400 gig firewire/usb 2.0 drive as well... however, it's formated for NTFS on my PC... This presents some problems:

1) My 15" MacBook Pro has only 1 firewire input, and I'd like to use both of these drives and a mini dv camera.

2) NTFS drives for Macs will require reformating. I'm aware of FAT32's compatibilty with Mac and PC, and that changing the file system requires the loss of data on that drive. I would like to preserve the data on that drive, but am not too keen on using FAT32 for some reason... (stability/efficiency).

Again, thanks for any and all help, guys.

-CK AV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
CK AV said:
1) My 15" MacBook Pro has only 1 firewire input, and I'd like to use both of these drives and a mini dv camera.

-CK AV
You can daisy-chain FW devices

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.