iMac and MacBook Network

Reaction score
Hi everyone

New to Mac and networking so apologies if this is a stupid question :)

I am about to set up a MacBook and iMac with a Netgear router.

The plan...

Enable WEP on router
Connect MacBook to network (wireless) with WEP password
Connect iMac to network (wireless) with WEP password
Enable file sharing in both computers

Then as I understand it the computers will appear on each others finders windows?? Click conect, add username and password, and away I go?

Is it this simple?

Also if I connect this way the communication is happening at the router level? Not actually going via an external internet connection?

Sorry I know this is probably very straightforward.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yep, it's that simple. I would however suggest using WPA instead of WEP. WPA is much more secure.

Reaction score
FWIW, networking my Intel iMac and my iBook G4 wasn't quite that simple. I'm having to use Finder's "Connect to Server" option and type in the IP address of the machine I want to access for it to show up -- they don't seem to "just show up" to each other.

Also, someone has to be logged on to each machine for it to be accessible (which, coming from Win, I find a fault of Mac in that one of the primary reasons I want to access the other machine is because I'm not on it).

OP
J
Reaction score
schweb said:
Yep, it's that simple. I would however suggest using WPA instead of WEP. WPA is much more secure.

Thx...well it went well, except for the 4 hours it took me to work out why the iMac wouldnt connect to the router.

WEP off, everything off, except I forgot about the MAC address security. (Doh!)

But sorted now, and thx :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.