Help me find some apps for osx 10.1.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
Ok, I just came accross a great deal on some g3 Mac 400 mhz power macs. I purchase 2 of them 1 for me and my dad, I formated the harddrives, added memory, and installed OSX 10.1.5 (had the disk from my previous iMac).

Now I am tring to locate a few programs for them. I need the following...

1). Older version of MS Office that works on 10.1.5
2). Older version of pagemaker/quark/indesign (which ever will work on 10.1.5)
3). Some autocad type of program for tech drawings that works on 10.1.5

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction, or atleast tell me what versions of these softwares will run on my OSX 10.1.5, I don't have mac classic installed.

I already have photoshop, and illustrator loaded onto the systems but I am having trouble locating any type of word processing programs that will run on my systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your best bet is to browse www.versiontracker.com

For older retail versions of MS Office and such, you might have better luck locating them on an auction site (eBay, Craigslist, etc)

You might also want to keep an eye on THIS THREAD as that poster seems to be asking a similar question and you might find some helpful replies there.

:black:

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
Thanks, I did check that out, can anyone suggest a decent word processing program I can download off that site to get me by for now? God I need to upgrade me OS REAL bad.

I'm from Chambersburg, BTW

D3v1L80Y said:
Your best bet is to browse www.versiontracker.com

For older retail versions of MS Office and such, you might have better luck locating them on an auction site (eBay, Craigslist, etc)

You might also want to keep an eye on THIS THREAD as that poster seems to be asking a similar question and you might find some helpful replies there.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
janstrock said:
Thanks, I did check that out, can anyone suggest a decent word processing program I can download off that site to get me by for now? God I need to upgrade me OS REAL bad.

I'm from Chambersburg, BTW
I would suggest giving NeoOffice a try. You will have to have X11 installed to use it, but you can get that off Apple's site if you don't already have it.

I used to work for the bookstore at the Chambersburg Mall over the holidays. :black:

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
All the NeoOffice's I can find need 10.2 or higher, even check out some older versions and they are all the same.

Excuse the newbness, whats x11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
janstrock said:
All the NeoOffice's I can find need 10.2 or higher, even check out some older versions and they are all the same.

Excuse the newbness, whats x11?
You can also try OpenOffice
Here is one place to get an older version that works with 10.1.5

As for X11, it is a window manager. It allows you to run open source apps in Mac OS X.
But the more I think about it, I am not sure if there is an X11 version compatible with 10.1.x available for download.
You can at least try the download from Apple and see if that works.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you might want to upgrade your os to 10.2 or 10.3
-chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
I am planning on upgrading soon. Will the newest OSX run on my g3? It will have over a gig of memory in the next week or so.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What G3 is this? The Tower B&W (Blue & White)? If so any version of OSX currently out will run on it. How much RAM? It's a 400Mhz G3, if it's the Blue and White, look inside. Does it have a Hard Drive bracket that takes 2 hard drives?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
dtravis7 said:
What G3 is this? The Tower B&W (Blue & White)? If so any version of OSX currently out will run on it. How much RAM? It's a 400Mhz G3, if it's the Blue and White, look inside. Does it have a Hard Drive bracket that takes 2 hard drives?

yeah, its a B&W g3 400 MHZ tower (I picked these towers up on ebay at a computer recyler for $40 a piece, and he was local). It currently has 2 256MB memory cards in it, and the recyler is selling me 2 more 256mb cards for $15 per card. I will have too look at the HD bracket when I get home tonight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
janstrock said:
yeah, its a B&W g3 400 MHZ tower (I picked these towers up on ebay at a computer recyler for $40 a piece, and he was local). It currently has 2 256MB memory cards in it, and the recyler is selling me 2 more 256mb cards for $15 per card. I will have too look at the HD bracket when I get home tonight.

That will work for RAM. The B&W G3 can't take 512Meg sticks but 4x256 PC100 will work just fine and give you plenty of RAM.

Also check this URL. It shows you the bracket and the IDE Controler Chip. You look for a number on the Chip. It should have the number 402 at the end of the part number. The URL shows you a picture of what and where to look. Good luck. I have a Rev 2 B&W and it's a nice machine. If I can help in any way, let me know.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
dtravis7 said:
I have a Rev 2 B&W and it's a nice machine. If I can help in any way, let me know.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html

I will check this out, thanks for the link...

Is there any other upgrades that would be beneficial for this system? Planning on upgrading HD's as well to a 60-80gig.

Also what do I need to look for as far as adding an internal CD-R to the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
40 bones a piece?! **** if he's got any left ill take some!

since you paid so little i would def get osx 10.4, max the ram, pick up a dvd burner, and then get a sonnett g4 800+mhz CPU upgrade and then that machine will absolutly fly!

-chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
coach_z said:
40 bones a piece?! **** if he's got any left ill take some!

since you paid so little i would def get osx 10.4, max the ram, pick up a dvd burner, and then get a sonnett g4 800+mhz CPU upgrade and then that machine will absolutly fly!

-chris

No sure if he has any more g3 towers left or not, but when I got to the place I was like WOW, pallets of computers everywhere! So its def. worth a shot to contact him. I needed something quick and cheap and upgradeable so it does the trick, I like it better then my last G3 333mhz iMac I have been using since '98 that recently just died (when you start it up it looks like it goes right to sleep mode and the screen doesn't come on).

ebay seller name: blisshaven (that how I found them)

I will have to keep an eye out for 10.4 on ebay or something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your iMac, All the iMacs that I have owned that have had that problem, it was the PRAM Battery. If you change that it should work again. Just in case you want to sell it. I have a Grape 333 and after a week of buying it used it did that, it was the battery.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
Well I managed to find a copy of Apple Works on Limewire last night, that will atleast get me by until I get 10.4 in the next few weeks, I was looking at 10.4 on ebay and I can get the CD version for around $65-$80 it looks like.

I just purchased a battery on ebay for the iMac, we'll see if it does the trick. For $6 shipped its worth a shot, I needed a computer out in my garage anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
You might save a bit of money on software by looking for OS X 10.3 'Panther' and installing all the updates. I ran 10.3.9 until recently on a B&W, and the increased functionality of 10.4 is probably not worth the extra $$ (some of them are pretty neat though). You might also be able to find MS office X on ebay cheaper than office 2004. Anyway, I think all the open source office suites will run on Panther as well as they would Tiger.

I wouldn't bother upgrading this machine too agressively due to its age, but I have seen ~500 MHz G4 zif upgrades and ATI Radeon PCI graphics cards go pretty cheap on ebay from time to time and both of those upgrades (especially the G4) make OS X more responsive (graphically). I'd wait and see how it runs with 1gig of ram though; that may be the only upgrade you need for what you want to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
Ok, can someone suggest me fsome CD burning software for 10.1.5 couldn't find anything yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would just use Disk Utiility or Finder.
For music CD's use iTunes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
D3v1L80Y said:
I would just use Disk Utiility or Finder.
For music CD's use iTunes.

Haven't had any luck with burning with iTunes, its always coming up with errors when it is processing the burn. I am using an older USB external Iomega CD burner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.