I was the most anit-mac guy out there...(you'll want to read this) :)

S

spaztaz

I was the most anti-mac guy out there...(you'll want to read this) :)

I was the guy that said Mac and Apple were gay. I was the guy that instantly said Mac OS was garbage and windows owned it in everything. I was the guy that made fun of "rich kids" that bought macs when they could have bought a superior pc. I was truely a windows/pc fanboy. But, this was not because i had NOT used mac os, in fact i used mac os in grade/middle school (I'm going to be a senior in HS now :) ). But it was the mac os that didnt have the cool toolbar, didnt have the flair that mac osx 10.4 has (sry i dont remember the number...). That based all my biases on mac/apple until now. I have now changed to the "light" side. I finally made the switch to an apple macbook. I bought the system in my sig for equivalent of $850 (i traded my pc laptop for it, and thats how much i paid for it). It came with a sleeve, mx1000 laser mouse (brand new in box), a cooling pad, the laptop with battery, discs, and the charger itself. I think this is a steal (it would have costed me close to $1400 in store for the same unit-I cant get a student discount yet). Anyway, I kind of dove into this craiglist trade; I did it because I always wanted a mac in the back of my head, but they were too expensive for my blood. But $850 with all the extras was a steal IMO. Also with the release of bootcamp I could also use windows; the balance of both worlds. First booting up the macbook i was amazed at how fast it loaded, even with only 512mb of ram! I was also amazed at how slick and intergrated/seamless the OS was setup, I truely love the design and how it works. I was thinking about the primary programs I use with windows: firefox, trillian, limewire pro, photoshop, illustrator, flash, itunes, fruityloops (beat making program), and a tiny bit of gaming. Well I can do all of that on my macbook now (safari owns, ichat owns, limewire still owns, photoshop is a bit slow but runs, garage band is great one i learn it more, etc). I was planning to install windows for games, but for now I am not going to; I want to learn mac OSx more and i dont think a 60gb hd is big enough for that (btw, with all the programs installed on the laptop, i had about 40gb availabe, is that normal?). maybe when i upgrade to a bigger HD (if i do). anyway i am extremely happy with it, and gaming wise i have a 360. and its great cuz my 360, macbook, and ds lite match perfectly, and my soon to buy ipod nano (when i get cash) will match as well. Just thought i would share my experiences with all of you! Thanks this is my frist post if u hadnt noticed! :) Also if all goes well i plan to sell this before i leave to college after next year and upgrade to the macbook pro (hopefully with merom)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Awesome man, congratulations! I know youll end up loving the mac, especially for the programs you listed, and if you have questions you found the right place. I used to be the same as you, but I started getting into graphic design and when OSX came out, I started looking at macs more and more. Now, ill probably never buy another pc again, especially since you can load windows on a mac.

Reaction score
Congrats on your Macbook!! Welcome to the "bright" side and also welcome to the forums. :cool:

spaztaz said:
(hopefully with memrom)

just to help, its Merom. :)

OP
S

spaztaz

quick question: if i ever misplaced the restore cd's, is there a place where i could buy them or order them? thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
You can always just buy a new copy of Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
There aren't really any 'Restore CDs', as far as I know, everything that comes on the macbook is on the Tiger install DVD. At least for my iMac G5, everything the Mac came with (e.g. iLife) was on the Tiger install DVD. I would think that the newer Tiger DVDs would include iLife '06 as opposed to iLife '05.

BTW, nice sig. My favorite characters are Uncle Ruckus and Huey. Unfortunately, school has made me miss a large portion of the eps on [as].

Welcome to the light side :mac:

OP
S

spaztaz

so a copy of tiger would do the trick? i am so used to windows machines with multiple restore discs, driver discs, etc. also would apple replace those discs under warranty for a discount? jw, and thank u all! o, and boondocks OWNS :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yep just buy a new copy of Tiger to restore. It won't restore iLife, but it will restore all of the essential apps. IDK about replacements though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The Tiger Install DVD's that come with your computer are the "Restore CD's". So if you did not receive those then yeah you would need to either buy a new copy of Tiger or find a used copy on eBay or craigslist or wherever you would like. If you could wait, I would just wait until 10.5 comes out and then buy it... But if you can't wait and you did not get them with your computer then I would do one of the above.

OP
S

spaztaz

i guess i'll wait for the new OS...i was told by somebody that u get new OS's for free with macs, is that wrong? lol sry for my noobness

OP
S

spaztaz

LOL^ i've been spreading tho (for ex. my friend is now getting one as a grad gift instead of a pc now that he's played with mine. he's getting a pro tho, lucky!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
spaztaz said:
quick question: if i ever misplaced the restore cd's, is there a place where i could buy them or order them? thanks! :)

Question; Are you actually looking for a replacement set now, or more of a just in case kind of thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah! another boondocks fan!

Reaction score
spaztaz said:
i guess i'll wait for the new OS...i was told by somebody that u get new OS's for free with macs, is that wrong? lol sry for my noobness

Not quite, this is how it works. OS X is the 10th OS (the X means 10). Each time apple brings out a new OS they add 1 to the first decimal place, 10.0 -> 10.1 ->10.2 and so on, we are on 10.4 (codename Tiger) at the moment. The next one is 10.5 Leopard. I think each new one comes out roughly every 14 months.

What you do get for free are the upgrades for (things like bug fixes, patches, and sometimes extra features here and there) your *current* OS. We are currently on 10.4.6, the next update (which is 10.4.7) is due to come out very soon.

Apple also update their other programs, such as the ones in the iLife suite, click on the apple menu at the top left and select software update, if you haven't done this yet then you will have some updates to install!

By the way, if you are a student then you can get a discount on a lot of apple stuff including Leopard when it comes out (which will either be just before the end of the year, or just after).

OP
S

spaztaz

i'm not in college yet so i dont get discounts :( and i do have the discs, its just for future reference if i lose them i want to know if i can replace them (cuz with my dell they would send out discs for like $10 or something). its also because i cant back them up right now either lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
spaztaz said:
i'm not in college yet so i dont get discounts :( and i do have the discs, its just for future reference if i lose them i want to know if i can replace them (cuz with my dell they would send out discs for like $10 or something). its also because i cant back them up right now either lol

I am just going into HS this year and I get College Discounts. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Great testimony, and welcome to a very informative, friendly site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
spaztaz said:

Well, since you already have the discs, why not make copies? Keep the copies with the laptop, and the originals safely tucked away with the documentation, or whatever arrangement makes you feel comfortable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.