I was the most anit-mac guy out there...(you'll want to read this) :)

OP
S

spaztaz

does anybody want to resize my sig? i guess its too big. anybody that resizes it to 480 pixels wide and 80 pixel high will be great! i hope the mod wasnt saying my sig is offenisve...do u guys find it offensive, i dont see the problem if that is it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
here, this should fit the sig restrictions:

e356663a8ef.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
zeta101 said:
Not quite, this is how it works. OS X is the 10th OS (the X means 10). Each time apple brings out a new OS they add 1 to the first decimal place, 10.0 -> 10.1 ->10.2 and so on, we are on 10.4 (codename Tiger) at the moment. The next one is 10.5 Leopard. I think each new one comes out roughly every 14 months.

What you do get for free are the upgrades for (things like bug fixes, patches, and sometimes extra features here and there) your *current* OS. We are currently on 10.4.6, the next update (which is 10.4.7) is due to come out very soon.

Apple also update their other programs, such as the ones in the iLife suite, click on the apple menu at the top left and select software update, if you haven't done this yet then you will have some updates to install!

By the way, if you are a student then you can get a discount on a lot of apple stuff including Leopard when it comes out (which will either be just before the end of the year, or just after).

How much are the new OS. ans how often is like a totally new os released, like os11 (XI) thanks I'am also a switcher to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Tiger is $129 for Single User, $199 for Family Pack (10-User, I believe).
And the new OS 11 will come out when OS X is all done. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Forgive me if somebody already posted this, I just kinda skimmed over. The retail version of Tiger (or any version of OS X) doesn't come with iLife or any other pre-installed software. To restore those you need the discs that come with the Mac. You can purchase a copy of iLife or iWork separately (You wont get themes from older versions in iLife tho). best to just make a copy of them and stick em in a safe place like the sock drawer.

OS X v10.4 Tiger $129
iLife '06 $79
iWork '06 $79

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Techno Mutant said:
so how many versions will of OSX will there be?
Well the X is the roman numeral for 10 and we are currently at 10.4.x so my guess would be V err... 5 more

Reaction score
yeah we are on 10.4 Tiger, and 10.5 Leopard is out early next year. *If* apple keep things logical then they will work thier way up to 10.9, which would theoretically be the last version of OS X, then it's OS XI (OS 11).

But apple might choose to stick with the OS X name for a long time, they could maybe extend it somehow after 10.9 or they could make it such that they take longer to release say 10.8 or 10.9 or something. It's a long way away now anyway! (hmmm, I think I over used "way" there a bit!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Maybe like OSX2? Or just extend 10.9.9 until Apple dies or whatever happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Great to hear this story, good one.

But, this was not because i had NOT used mac os, in fact i used mac os in grade/middle school (I'm going to be a senior in HS now ). But it was the mac os that didnt have the cool toolbar, didnt have the flair that mac osx 10.4 has (sry i dont remember the number...). That based all my biases on mac/apple until now.

Yeah I know, the original Mac OS had it's share of problems but it also had it's charms. At College the OS9 room was not a happy room for productive work. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.