Mics

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a logitech microphone, but i wasn't sure if my mac would be able to use it. Can the mac really only use an iSight as a mic, because i don't see a microphone input into my computer?

Reaction score
mrdangles said:
I was thinking about buying a logitech microphone, but i wasn't sure if my mac would be able to use it. Can the mac really only use an iSight as a mic, because i don't see a microphone input into my computer?

if you have an imac, be it a g5, or a core duo, yes, it has an audio in. if you want an all in one solution - cam and mic - yes, the isight has a mic. i have one myself.

OP
M
Reaction score
what i should've said was i have an iSight but when i speak on ventrillo people get kind of mad because they can hear themselves, and i didn't want to just use headphones. So I can use the logitech mic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It depends on your computer:

IF you have an audio input jack, then you can hook up any external mic.
If not, you'll need a usb audio input adapter (Griffin's iMic is the cheapest solution here) to plug the microphone into.

But unless you place the microphone far away enough, you'll still have an echo, because the microphone is just picking up the noise coming out from your speakers... a better microphone might just make this worse.

I'd get a headset...

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
It depends on your computer:

IF you have an audio input jack, then you can hook up any external mic.
If not, you'll need a usb audio input adapter (Griffin's iMic is the cheapest solution here) to plug the microphone into.

But unless you place the microphone far away enough, you'll still have an echo, because the microphone is just picking up the noise coming out from your speakers... a better microphone might just make this worse.

I'd get a headset...

the audio-in would be a simple solution, but this just means that you would need to not only buy another mic, but also get the imic from griffin , which is $40 itself... Another downside is the audio quality - when using the audio input jack your using analog audio.

The best solution if you dont want to use headphones and or get two seperate devices would be to go ahead and get a usb mic/headset from logitech. i know the one for the ps2 which is usb based works on the mac - i once used it on my ibook, and it goes for around $25-$30. Any other generic usb based headset would work too...the good thing about the usb based headset/mic's would not only be that you dont need to buy two seperate devices, but the audio quality is better too.

Take a look at the Logitech Headsets. They havent gotten too much into the usb run of things, but there are other out there..plantronics, panasonic, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Another downside is the audio quality - when using the audio input jack your using analog audio.

If your mac already has an audio in, the sound quality is fine for what you're doing. In this price range analog vs. digital is irrelevant.

But if not, I agree that a USB headset seems to be a nice solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.