HELP!! Converting tape audio to digital

Reaction score
BS"D

Howdy!!

Does anybody know a faster way to convert tape audio to digital besides doing it in realtime? Even if it isn't free, it would help a ton.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
macaudiodj said:
No, not really..... I means theres ways but it will not sound good.

I have visions of using high-speed dubbing and then halving the sample rate ...

*shudder*

K

Komatic

I'm afraid, as with digitizing any analogue source, doing it in realtime is the only way for adequate results.

Its a ****ter, but it is the only way :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea you are going to need a analog to dv converter box type thing and play on your vcr and record in FCP or iMovie and then go cook dinner and come back to finish it up
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
cameldragon770 said:
BS"D

Howdy!!

Does anybody know a faster way to convert tape audio to digital besides doing it in realtime? Even if it isn't free, it would help a ton.

Thanks!!

It is possible to set up a program to automatically create new files for each track, that's all I can think of that would make this less tedious. Or if you have a bunch of inputs and a bunch of tape players, you could do several at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
badmuthahubbard said:
It is possible to set up a program to automatically create new files for each track, that's all I can think of that would make this less tedious. Or if you have a bunch of inputs and a bunch of tape players, you could do several at a time.

i believe that will not be feasable at all...
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
coach_z said:
-chris

There is software out there that can use the silence between songs to automatically split the recording. It's usually used for vinyl->digital conversion. Can't remember what any of it is called at the moment, but I know it exists ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
what do you guys usually use to do this? garageband??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cazabam said:
There is software out there that can use the silence between songs to automatically split the recording. It's usually used for vinyl->digital conversion. Can't remember what any of it is called at the moment, but I know it exists ...

I did it with Pure Data. It's a language, not a program, but I know it well enough to make a program to do it. It's cross-platform OSS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
-chris

Possibly. Some people have access to computer labs and audio equipment at universities, though, where there are multiple decks and computers, and don't think of it until someone reminds them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I used final vinyl for digitizing records, but it would work with tapes as well. Its a nice simple little App with good results. It is free if you buy the iMic from griffin and thats only ~20 or 30 USD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.