• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iTunes to have feature films by year-end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Link to story

A version of Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store that will serve up feature film downloads should debut by the end of the year at the latest, sources within the film industry told Variety.com.

The report, which offers very little new information on the Apple initiative, reiterates the popular consensus that the iPod maker and major picture studios are locked in debate over pricing.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is reported to have been involved in the talks, initially proposing to sell all films at a flat price of $9.99 -- an offer the studios flatly rejected.

"We can't be put in a position where we lose the ability to price our most popular content higher than less popular stuff," said a studio exec close to the negotiations told Variety.

Apple has historically charged a standard fee for its online downloads, such as 99 cents for music tracks and $1.99 for TV shows.

According to the report, there are signs Apple may bend and allow price points ranging from $9.99 to $19.99 in order to differentiate older titles from new releases.

Reaction score
I think $9.99 is a little too much for films. He needs to cut the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
why would i pay $19.99 for a movie when i can probably buy the dvd for that and then rip it to my ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep, I agree.. a very high price point especially if it's at the current iPod size. You can buy a DVD for the same price $9.99 with all the DVD features plus a much higher resolution.. I think it's about double what the current iPod resolution is. It is quite high indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
$9.99 and up for a DRM protected file with no extras, and I can only watch it on my computer or my iPod?

Screw that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
eddiddiums said:
$9.99 and up for a DRM protected file with no extras, and I can only watch it on my computer or my iPod?

Screw that.

I agree. Unless they're at standard DVD resolution, that'd just be dumb. I just bought 3 new used movies at Blockbuster for $20 (Red Eye, Harry Potter 4, and Last Holiday if you're curious); $19.99 or even $9.99 for 320x240 movie with no extras or options would be silly. Everyone I know who has a video iPod has watched one or two shows on it then lost interest - they go back to being MP3 players with a big hard drive. Who knows, maybe they'll release a TiVo Mini with movie-download capabilities at the same time as the movie announcement :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.