Seagate Hard Drive 300gig Question

R

rgstrdnurse

I recently purchased a Seagate 300gig hard drive. I redirected my ripped movies to be saved onto that internal secondary drive. Works fine for me on my sign on which is the administrator. But when I try to rip movies and save onto the sea gate drive it doesnt allow me to.. Is there something Im missing in settings or something? I can save regular files on the secondary drive but I just cant create folders.. What can I do? Thanks! :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
How is the drive formatted?

It needs to be HFS+ or FAT32 for your OS to read/write.

You can find this out by opening the app called Disk Utility in your Apps/Utilites folder.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Help me clear up some thing here. You said, that you can write to the drive using the administrator account. It appears that you can write to a folder that exist already, but can not create a new folder. Are you having a problem using the drive with another user account? If that is the case, you have a permisson problem. You will need to open up the permissons on the drive so that other users can write to the drive.

OP
R

rgstrdnurse

Yeah, on the Administrator side, I can create folders and rip movies to folders on my seagate. On the Standard access i.e. guest or relative having regular access, I cannot rip movie from MTR to secondary drive ( seagate). So what I did was create a folder on desktop and dragged it to folder where I wanted it to be saved to. It then asked me for user name and password to authenticate and then was I allowed to rip movies to that file folder. I just thought there might of been any easier way to do that process...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It does appear tha you have a permission problem. Do a get info on the seagate hard disk (apple command i). At the bottom of the get info window you will see. Ownership & Permissions. Click the little twisty. Make sure the drive is read & write on all three Owner, Group, and Others. If they are grayed out, then click on the ignore ownership on this volume button. That should resolve your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.