Need microphone help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I want to get a good desktop microphone for use with Skype, movie voiceovers, video tutorials, and so on. I've tried various low-end "computer" headsets and mics, but they're lacking the quality I'm looking for. I'd like to go with a nice Shure mic like the PG48 or SM58. As I understand it, I'll need a desktop stand, XLR-to-Minijack adapter, and some kind of mic amp in order to have it work with my Intel Mac Mini. From what I've read the Mini doesn't have a mic amp. Can someone confirm this and recommend a good setup for me?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
As I was googling I came across BlueMic, who makes the Snowball USB mics. Everyone was waiting for the Snowball mics to come out and now they've been out for awhile and I had completely forgotten about them:

http://www.bluemic.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Products&file=index&prod_id=18

About $140 including a the mic, a USB cable, and a nice little tripod mount. About the same price as going with a traditional mic such as the Shure SM58, an XLR-to-minijack cable, desktop stand, and iMic pre-amp. Looks good, I may get it!

K

Komatic

Sounds good mate, although is it a little bit expensive for what you want to use it for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
If you can spend a larger amount of money buy a small 1 or 2 track powered mixer or M-Audio's external sound unit that takes two XLR plug-ins. Then pay seventy for the MXL condenser microphone on Musicians friend and finish it off with a ten foot Monster pro line XLR cable. I don't really do podcasting at all I record bands and I use Yamaha's MG16/4 and six Nady SP-5's (Which I find are just as good as the SM58), but the Monster Pro Lines are definitely the way to go for high quality cables and if you buy them from guitar center they'll replace any damaged cables. Basically for mics, mic amps, cables, and stands ($40 desktop stand) guitar center is the way to go.

I

iLifeZone

kaidomac said:
I want to get a good desktop microphone for use with Skype, movie voiceovers, video tutorials, and so on. I've tried various low-end "computer" headsets and mics, but they're lacking the quality I'm looking for. I'd like to go with a nice Shure mic like the PG48 or SM58. As I understand it, I'll need a desktop stand, XLR-to-Minijack adapter, and some kind of mic amp in order to have it work with my Intel Mac Mini. From what I've read the Mini doesn't have a mic amp. Can someone confirm this and recommend a good setup for me?

I think the SM58 is always a safe choice. At under $100, it's as tough as nails and has a good clean sound. You will need a mic pre-amp. You can buy one for as little as $30 but you should know that the quality of the mic pre-amp can significantly impact the quality of the mic's sound. Search "pre-amp" at any of the big music stores like zzounds.com for more information.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
iLifeZone said:
I think the SM58 is always a safe choice. At under $100, it's as tough as nails and has a good clean sound. You will need a mic pre-amp. You can buy one for as little as $30 but you should know that the quality of the mic pre-amp can significantly impact the quality of the mic's sound. Search "pre-amp" at any of the big music stores like zzounds.com for more information.

Thanks, but I ended up ordering the Snowball. Should arrive here today :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Hmm the snowball other than shape and size seems very similar to the sm58 when it comes to polar pattern and frequency response. I woulda gone for the SM58 personally but then again theres no such thing as a crap mic anymore, just so long as you can EQ it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
makwanad said:
Hmm the snowball other than shape and size seems very similar to the sm58 when it comes to polar pattern and frequency response. I woulda gone for the SM58 personally but then again theres no such thing as a crap mic anymore, just so long as you can EQ it.

Yeah I was considering the SM58, but between the mic, a stand, an amp, adapter cables, and so on...the Snowball just seemed like a better deal. I'm playing with it right now; sound quality is EXCELLENT! I'm no audio engineer, but it's easily the best mic I've ever owned. I'm really impressed. I didn't realize how big was going to be though...it's a little bigger than a baseball but not quite as big as a software.

Just for future reference, where would I get a good mic amp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
kaidomac said:
Yeah I was considering the SM58, but between the mic, a stand, an amp, adapter cables, and so on...the Snowball just seemed like a better deal. I'm playing with it right now; sound quality is EXCELLENT! I'm no audio engineer, but it's easily the best mic I've ever owned. I'm really impressed. I didn't realize how big was going to be though...it's a little bigger than a baseball but not quite as big as a software.

Just for future reference, where would I get a good mic amp?

One advantage of the SM58 would be that your great-grandchildren could still use it, both to record and to nail up your casket, lol.

Reaction score
badmuthahubbard said:
One advantage of the SM58 would be that your great-grandchildren could still use it, both to record and to nail up your casket, lol.

This is the funniest thing I've read all week

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.