wiping the slate clean

S

sherpa666

I want to sell my iMac. I did the software restore and got all my personal stuff off it, but my basic log-in name is still there. How do I remove that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
System Prefs > Users > and change your name. Or just make a new account and delete yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
if i were you i would boot up from your cd, in disk utility do a 7 pass format and then install the new os, once it reboots and asks for all new information shut it down and then ship....it will then create users for the person you sell it to.

the reason for the 7 pass is so that it writes your drive 7 times and all information should be un-recoverable if someone were to search around to try to find any of your personal information tha tmight have been on your hard drive

and good luck with the sale!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, do the above and as soon as it's played the little intro movie (before the account setup) hit apple + q.
It will warn you and then shutdown. Next time the new owner boots, it will start at the same point of the installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.