Often forgot screenshot method...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
From Mac Daily News...

With Mac OS X v10.2, you now have yet another option for capturing screenshots. This method is so often ignored that it may as well be a secret. We're here to let the secret out. The first two options were available in previous versions of Mac OS X (note: Command = Apple key):

1. Press Command-Shift-3 all at once to take a screenshot of your entire screen.
2. Press Command-Shift-4 all at once and Mac OS X presents you with crosshairs you can use to select whatever portion of your display you'd like to capture in a screenshot. Just select your desired area, let up on the mouse and whatever you've highlighted will be captured.

The new third option in Jag is very cool:
3. Type Command-Shift-4 and then press the spacebar once. The crosshairs will change into a camera icon. Hover the camera over any element on the screen you wish to capture, for example, the Dock, the menu bar, the desktop, or any open window. Then just click the mouse button to "snap" a screen shot. Or hit Command-. (Command-period) to cancel. With this option, you can entirely eliminate the desktop when you capture a screen shot of an individual window and get a clean outline without having to crop your screenshot in another application.

Cool, huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
maybe i should share more of these too, cause ive been doing this for a long time now.. you can also hit 'Esc' to cancel or get rid of the crosshairs/camera

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Thats sweet :) I always love learning new mac tricks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
I'll sticky this! ;)

A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by Graphite@Mar 12 2003, 11:50 AM
Thats sweet :) I always love learning new mac tricks.
me and graph were familar the command shift 3/4 since the good old days :D

but hte camera one is knew,

cool very yes :lol:

G

Giaguara

Err.. what are the "other" methods? I remember Amborsia was selling a software that does this but I've *always* used these keys so ... ;)

S

Stoomie

why is it that I cant take a screen capture while watching a dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm I didnt know that was an issue...
mb it takes up 2 much CPU? or its a lock? I dont know..

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You know, I couldn't get a screenshot to work when I was using iSight either using the shift-cmd-3 option. However, I could do it using Grab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can take a screenshot of a DVD if you use VLC and hit ****+command+3 when watching the DVD. for some reason Apple DVD player wont let you

P

/\pp|eGuy

Stupid Question...

When I take a screen capture OSX saves them as PDF files. How do I convert them to Jpg?

T

TrackMan

/\pp|eGuy said:
When I take a screen capture OSX saves them as PDF files. How do I convert them to Jpg?

open them (default is Preview)
goto File
goto Export...
choose your options

C

CaptainMack

/\pp|eGuy said:
you can also download drop jpeg
this is what i use because i cant open pdfs in preview

O

Oriflamme

CaptainMack said:
you can also download drop jpeg
this is what i use because i cant open pdfs in preview

May I know then if there is any way to capture the startup screen or logon screen? I kinda need that because I am doin a project on Mac OS.. Hope you guys have any soln besides.. Using digital cams to take pics of the desktop,. :)

W

woofboy111

How do you do this on Mac OS 9? I could get the crosshairs by doing command-shift-4, and then a little square box show up over my mouse after I selected what I want, and then what? I can't seem to get this image into photoshop or any other program.

[email protected]

O

oranabana

think you can't take a screen shot of a playing DVD, as the DVD is presented on the screen using its own display engine (This used to be true at least before OS X). Hence the image you see on screen of a DVD, is actually bypassing the System... not sure if I am explaing this either well or right...!

Go figure!

P

PinkPhishDoors

I'm gonna sound really stupid... but how do i post the screen shots on these forums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hi anarkhy, Not sure what you know, so i'll start from the top. I've even included a snapshot tool that creates internet ready snapshots. Your Mac can create them too but they for PDF format and files sizes can be huge. Anyway, saves you messing around with image manipulation applications such as Photoshop or GraphicsConverter.

If you have any problems then PM me, or visit YellowMug for info.

View attachment SnapNDrag.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.