Podcast downloads stop after 75 seconds

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm having an annoying recurring problem that I can't work out. For the past few weeks, I've been noticing many of my podcasts keep stopping half-way through. After some testing I've discovered that when I click the GET button in iTunes, the download will stop after around 75 seconds (give or take 5 seconds). The same thing happens with direct downloads from web pages too, though not as frequently.

I have gone so far as to buy a new DSL modem/router, but the problem persists, and I"m down $300 to boot.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this problem? Originally I blamed my router, but now that I have a new one, I wouldn't have thought it was so. So what else could it be? OS X or my ISP?

UPDATE: Just tried to download a podcast through a WIndows XP box using iTunes 5, and the same thing happened. seems unlikely now that it would be my os x settings.

SO far I've tried:

- Resetting router to factory settings
- Updating router firmware
- downloading on a different computer (iBook G4) -- but the same thing happened

Using:

Netgear DG834GT router
iMac G5 / iBook G4
iTunes 6.0.4
OS X 10.4.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Have you tried downloading any large files via a wired network, or is this all wireless?

Also, try taking your router out of the equation and plugging your computer directly into the cable/DSL modem to see if that corrects the issue.

If the problem still occurs with no router in place, call your provider to work things out.

OP
T
Reaction score
hello eddiddiums, No I hadn't tried that. my netgear is a modem/router combo so I can't seperate one device, but I tried hard-wiring an iBook to the router but same thing happened. :(

I just called my sister to get her dial-up account phone number. I want to see if the same thing happens through a dial-up account (through a different IP too). will post back here with results.

thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that still means the problem is with the router or the ISP, so if you do not have a spare modem laying around it would proably be to your bennifit to give them a call and see if there is something they can do on their end.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just tried it through the dial-up account and it worked. Not sure what that tells me though. Why would it work through dial-up and not through DSL

(my connection is 512k DSL through Internode btw)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thendis said:
Just tried it through the dial-up account and it worked. Not sure what that tells me though. Why would it work through dial-up and not through DSL

(my connection is 512k DSL through Internode btw)

That would most likely be because the problem does not lie with your computer and instead lies with your router or provider. If you are unable to take your router out of the equation, just give your provider a call and they may be able to help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.