• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Reinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
Hi All,

i did post this question a while back about how do i reinstall osx on my powerbook, but being able to keep all my preferances?

I tried installing tiger on an ibook the other week by just dragging the home folder to my external FW drive installing tiger then dragging it back to the ibook but it didnt install the libary files. (i tested it on a friends machine to see if it would work!)

All i want to do is formatt my internal HD install a Fresh Copy of Tiger and put all my libary files back just like when you migrate from your old mac to a new one. :mail:

Thanks

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
I havn't tried it out yet to see if it works perfect yet, but I use this program called iBackup. It's free and it will backup your home directory and your preferences for all your programs. I think after you re-install OS X, you install that program again, and then recover the rest of your data and preferences from your backup folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you should never really have a need to reinstall your os. but what you want to do is select the 'archive and install' option if you have it when you are reinstalling. it will keep all of your stuff and just reinstall the OS
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.