• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

formatting HDD to be readable/writable by Windows and Mac

O

Oakleyvr

Hi All,

I was just wondering if this was possible. I have a 200GB external IDE drive that I want to partition into 2 partitions. 1 x NTFS and 1 x Mac. Is this possible to start and will if the mac be able to read the mac partition and windows based pc be able to read the NTFS partition? I am aware that filel transfer between these 2 partitions will not be possible but that is okay. i just dont want to have to buy another HDD.

Cheers

Oakley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Sure. Simply open Disk Utility, choose the hard disk you want to format and click "Partition". Choose your scheme and format one to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and one to MS-DOS. Then hook it up to a PC, choose the FAT32 partition, right click it, and click "Format". Choose NTFS and wait a few minutes.

That should do it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Or if you are running XP you can do FAT32 and have both systems see the entire drive. Am i right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, but FAT32 has it's drawbacks. I can't use it because it won't allow files more than 4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.