jnphoto

Hi Everyone,

What is wrong with my Macbook?

Here are the sypmtoms.
  • I make sure all programs are shut down
  • I click on "shut down"
  • I wait for the screen to go blank
  • I close the cover.
  • I come back later and the macbook is hot with the fan running and I can't start it up untill the fan stops.
  • After I start it I see the message "OS quit unexpetidly" or something to that effect.

This doesn't happen all the time, just somethimes. At firsrt I thought I was leaving a program open and that was causing it to not shut down, however I verify that all programs are closed and the mac "appears" to shut down completely.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Check the schedule button in the energy savings system preference: Maybe your macbook is set to startup at certain times.

Or it's possibly an issue with the power management unit, try resetting that!

OP
S

Sandpetra

Every time my drive started spinning eratically and resetting the PMU DIDNT work it usually ment a logic Board problem with my old G3 Ibook, and more recently the exact same thing happened with my G4 Ibook.

Are you having any other problems as well as OS problems? Any screen glitche etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I had the same problem! Turns out I needed to wait a few seconds after the screen blanks or the computer actually goes to sleep instead of finishing the shut down sequence. It's a tad annoying honestly, but not that hard to work around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea i dont think you are allowing it to shut down before you close it up. i always wait for my powerbooks fans to turn off before i close it and even think about moving it
-chris

OP
N

nick96ss

had the same problem i was told i was shutting the lid to quickly ...wait about 5 sec's then shut lid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2
coach_z said:
yea i dont think you are allowing it to shut down before you close it up. i always wait for my powerbooks fans to turn off before i close it and even think about moving it
-chris

I agree.. just let it turn off completely before closing it. My iBook is always open :black: , I just let it restart once and it runs perfectly fast everyday without shutting it down but when I do shut it down completely it's fine even with programs running and internet connected (just sleepy sometimes that I haven't got the energy to exit all applications... hehehe...).

OP
J

jnphoto

Thanks for all the help. I had a suspicion that closing it to fast might be the problem, but it really seemed to have been completely shut down. I will try shutting it down without closing it for a few weeks and see if the problem still occurs.

Thanks again
-John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why shut down anyway? Just close it and put it to sleep :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
well you dont have to wait weeks, just close the lid after say 45 seconds or so after you think it is shut down
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.