OS X "web drive" online storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I recall recent seeing a link (either here on M-F or elsewhere) for a free online storage account that mounts under OS X just like another drive. I had intended to click the link to check it out after I finished what I was working on, but I forgot and can no longer locate the link or the website. Does anyone know the site that I'm referring to? I believe it was 2GB of free storage, and as I stated, it supposedly mounted on the desktop like a standard drive. Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Padawan said:
I recall recent seeing a link (either here on M-F or elsewhere) for a free online storage account that mounts under OS X just like another drive. I had intended to click the link to check it out after I finished what I was working on, but I forgot and can no longer locate the link or the website. Does anyone know the site that I'm referring to? I believe it was 2GB of free storage, and as I stated, it supposedly mounted on the desktop like a standard drive. Thanks in advance. :)

Don't know for sure if this is what you're thinking of, but Box Net offers 1GB free, and there's a tip here about mounting it as a drive.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You could be talking about the free trial of .Mac...

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Murlyn said:
You could be talking about the free trial of .Mac...

It definitely wasn't .Mac, it was a banner link I saw recently (I really thought it was here on M-F). I recall that it specifically referenced being able to mount in OS X like another drive. I'll check out some of the links provided in this thread. Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hmmm, box.net sounded interesting so I went there and had a look. Flakey is how I would describe it.

I signed up and created an account. Then I decided to create a folder and upload a file. The first upload failed quietly - it went through the whole upload process but the file wasn't there when it finished. I repeated it and this time it worked.

I tried to move back to my "home" folder by clicking the MyBox label, but appear to have been placed in someone else's MyBox! Lots of files there, none of them mine, and the folder I had just created and the file I just uploaded? No where to be seen. I moved to another tab and then clicked MyBox again. This time I landed back in my intended home folder and could see my one folder and file again.

Soooo... in this brief 5 minute or so test, I had several failures and a truly amazing security breach, where I ended up in someone else's files. They could just as easily be ending up in mine!

Verdict? Not ready for prime time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.