ibook startup probs AAGH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
My old iBook 500 (which is for sale btw) has recently hit a problem where everytime i try and turn it on, it just won't do anything. I hear power going through it but the screen is blank and there is no startup sound. What on earth has happened?

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah thats no good, It just wont won't go ast the bit where you know power is going through and no chime happens and it sticks to a blank screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
makwanad said:
Nah thats no good, It just wont won't go ast the bit where you know power is going through and no chime happens and it sticks to a blank screen
So... you followed all the steps listed for "other"?
Apple.com said:
You see a blank, gray screen

Make sure the latest firmware for your computer is installed. Check Apple Downloads for the latest versions.
Disconnect all peripheral devices, except for the Apple keyboard and mouse. This includes ADB, serial, USB, FireWire, SCSI, and PCMCIA devices. If this resolves the issue, connect one device at a time, restarting after each one, until you've determined which device is causing the issue.
Remove third-party hardware upgrades such as memory (RAM), microprocessor upgrade cards, and PCI cards. If this resolves the issue, add back one item at a time, restarting after each one, to isolate the issue. Note: Apple does not provide technical support for Mac OS X when used with third-party microprocessor upgrade cards.
Start up from your Mac OS X installation disc and check the hard disk with Disk Utility or, if necessary, fsck.
If you are comfortable doing so, reset your computer's Power Management Unit. Specific directions are available elsewhere in the Knowledge Base.

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep also I'm running 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, if it won't even start from the OS install discs, and you have already tried resetting the PMU....then your logic board could be shot, a rather costly repair.

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noooo! This means I have to resort back to my pc and that is what I do not want to do (but is what I am doing atm). Man I wish someone would trade for 2 dead macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.