Ftp

D

DDF

Mornin all

I'd like to use FTP to access all my files when I'm away from home (up to a couple of weeks at a time). I have an iMac at home with a couple of Lacie 1TB hard drives and a PowerBook G4 that I take around with me.

Do I need to get an OSX server or is there software that can make my iMac accessible

Cheers
DDF

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is FTP built into OSX. Open System Preferences and go to Sharing and under services put a check-mark by FTP. When you hi-light FTP it will tell you the address of your computer. Make sure if you have a Hardware Firewall that you enable access to port 21 & 22. I have used it a few times on one of my macs.

Hope this is what you are after and it helps you out.

...Dennis

Reaction score
are you plugged directly into a router or just the straight modem? also if you are using a router, what type and model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also be aware that some ISPs do block those ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2
EDIT-XTREEM said:
are you plugged directly into a router or just the straight modem? also if you are using a router, what type and model?

You have to be plugged into any/either one of them to be able to access to computers if you're using ftp. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.