simple Q: Refresh contents on network drive

L

Logan

I know eventually when you access a folder via a network it will refresh it's contents.

But some times I will remotely change/add a file, then click the network drive on my mac and it isn't updating. I wait a while. It still hasn't updated. I click around different directories, come back.. some times, it'll refresh

But I spend a good 30-50 seconds just waiting for the stupid thing to refresh the contents. I can't find a "refresh folder" key, menu option..

Anyone able to guide me in the right direction ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
just a shot in the dark. try command+R. it works for refreshing safari windows.
-chris

OP
L

Logan

Nope. Command+R is noted on safari's menu as "Reload Page."
But it won't refresh Finder. bummer. This is a pretty high quality issue heh borderline annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
as i think more and more about this ii belive that this is one of the major flaws in finder and it is not apples fault for not being able to update the windows or even have a key to refresh it. it can not auto refresh because most apps dont give notice that files have been changed/added/removed. even applescript wont get you through this

hopefully with leopard they will completely re-do Finder and fix a lot of its lil quirks
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I agree, this is something Finder's needed for a long time.

The only thing that works for me is to Relaunch Finder using Command+Option+Escape and re-joining the network. This refreshes everything that Finder sees and works fine, it's just a hastle.

OP
L

Logan

I mean I run a lot of Operating Systems. I have Slackware, WinXP, Solaris, OS X on my boxes.

The only one I can't refresh a network drive/directory manually on is OS X. It definitely makes it stick out.

Thanks for the tip on restarting Finder, surfwax!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you might even be able to leave the network, like click on your applications folder in your sidebar, and then go back to the network, maybe it will be updated by then?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.