iBook 12" SuperDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.33 GHz PowerPC, 12-inch display, 40 GB hard disk, 512 MB memory, OS X 10.4.7
Heya, folks!

After years of toiling away on Windows and dreaming of an iBook (because they looked so lovely, seemed so easy to use, and sounded like they were so well built), I finally managed to scrape together the cash to buy one, direct from the UK Apple Store. Not being very well versed on Apple current affairs, I completely missed the time scales for migrating from PowerPC to Intel, so I was one of the last to order the iBook G4 (on May 9th) before they turned into MacBooks (on May 16th -- the very day my new Mac arrived!). Still, I'm really happy with my cute little iBook, and it was, after all, the one I lusted after for months. It's lived up to and exceeded every expectation; it really is easy to use, even for a long-term Windows sufferer, and it's incredibly well designed. And I'm loving the Mac community!

Anyway, much as I would love to write tons about the experience I've had with switching over to the Mac, I had better get to some kind of point!

Last year, after my little 12" NEC notebook was starting to seriously degrade, I splashed out and bought a nice new 15" Advent notebook, which worked fine for just over 12 months, before dying just past the warrenty date. It was then that I decided that I'd had enough with the PC, and dived for the iBook. Obviously (and in spite of all I've heard about how reliable the Mac is), I'm worried about the thing suddenly going wrong. I've been scouting out eBay for obvious spare parts (keyboard, batteries, etc.) and browsing other sites for hard drives and memory.

Purely due to cost (as I'm not blessed with a bountiful income), I bought the 12" iBook, with the Combo Drive (though I do like the compact size of the machine). I've noticed, on eBay, folks selling 14" iBooks for spares/repair. These come with SuperDrives (which could not be added to the 12" iBook order on the Apple Store).

So, the question is this: Can you use a SuperDrive from a 14" iBook in a 12" iBook? Obviously, I'm not going to attempt doing this upgrade with my iBook in warrenty, but if I can get one from an otherwise dead machine and bank it for later... Does anyone know if it can be done?

:girl: :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
Elwing said:
Heya, folks!

After years of toiling away on Windows and dreaming of an iBook (because they looked so lovely, seemed so easy to use, and sounded like they were so well built), I finally managed to scrape together the cash to buy one, direct from the UK Apple Store. Not being very well versed on Apple current affairs, I completely missed the time scales for migrating from PowerPC to Intel, so I was one of the last to order the iBook G4 (on May 9th) before they turned into MacBooks (on May 16th -- the very day my new Mac arrived!). Still, I'm really happy with my cute little iBook, and it was, after all, the one I lusted after for months. It's lived up to and exceeded every expectation; it really is easy to use, even for a long-term Windows sufferer, and it's incredibly well designed. And I'm loving the Mac community!

Anyway, much as I would love to write tons about the experience I've had with switching over to the Mac, I had better get to some kind of point!

Last year, after my little 12" NEC notebook was starting to seriously degrade, I splashed out and bought a nice new 15" Advent notebook, which worked fine for just over 12 months, before dying just past the warrenty date. It was then that I decided that I'd had enough with the PC, and dived for the iBook. Obviously (and in spite of all I've heard about how reliable the Mac is), I'm worried about the thing suddenly going wrong. I've been scouting out eBay for obvious spare parts (keyboard, batteries, etc.) and browsing other sites for hard drives and memory.

Purely due to cost (as I'm not blessed with a bountiful income), I bought the 12" iBook, with the Combo Drive (though I do like the compact size of the machine). I've noticed, on eBay, folks selling 14" iBooks for spares/repair. These come with SuperDrives (which could not be added to the 12" iBook order on the Apple Store).

So, the question is this: Can you use a SuperDrive from a 14" iBook in a 12" iBook? Obviously, I'm not going to attempt doing this upgrade with my iBook in warrenty, but if I can get one from an otherwise dead machine and bank it for later... Does anyone know if it can be done?

:girl: :mac:

I'm in a similar situation. I have a 12" iBook and have been looking to upgrade to the SuperDrive. I don't know if you can pull a drive from a 14" iBook.

I have found these two sites who sell SuperDrives specifically for the iBooks:
http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...Code=IBOOKSLDVDR8DL-A&Category_Code=STORDVDRW

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Apple...ner-Drive---Aluminum-or-iBook-G4-p-16592.html

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
OP
Elwing
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.33 GHz PowerPC, 12-inch display, 40 GB hard disk, 512 MB memory, OS X 10.4.7
Thanks guys!

UK price-wise, it's looking like a close knit thing between 14" iBook G4 spares/repair job on eBay and just a standalone SuperDrive component, and it seems as though the SuperDrive from the 14" might well work in the 12", if I'm reading the links correctly. This x8 speed UJ-845-C SuperDrive, that will work in the 12", is supposed to replace the x4 speed UJ-825-C, which works in the 14". I'm definately after the Apple branded version, for assured compatibility and the proper face-plate thingy.

I also found this US-based link: http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=1242&cat=&page=1

Guess I'll be letting you know for sure if this works or not in about 12 months time! :)

Thanks once again for the head start in this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.