Macally PHR-100AC Probs

Reaction score
Well i decided to get the FW+USB 2.0 version of the Macally enclosure, but I am having problems with it.

I put a 160gb Hitachi Deskstar drive in it, but when I plug it in, A diologue box comes up saying the disk could not read. I opened disk utility and the drive was there, recognized as '153.4gb PI-010V2' However, when I try to format (erase) the drive, I get the error:

'Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error'

Any ideas?

B

Badger

What are the jumpers set at? They should be at master or cable select, not slave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
chief99 said:
Well i decided to get the FW+USB 2.0 version of the Macally enclosure, but I am having problems with it.

I put a 160gb Hitachi Deskstar drive in it, but when I plug it in, A diologue box comes up saying the disk could not read. I opened disk utility and the drive was there, recognized as '153.4gb PI-010V2' However, when I try to format (erase) the drive, I get the error:

'Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error'

Any ideas?

Same error when you connect via USB? I've seen a similar issue with certain firewire chipsets. As I understand it now, the Oxford chipset is probably the best for performance and compatibility, especially with the Intel Macs.

Mark

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys.

The same error happens via USB aswell, so it cannot be the firewire.

I have the jumpers set to master, but I will try CS when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
jumpers should not matter in firewire drives. take it apart and make sure that your cables are all seated correctly

OP
C
Reaction score
Well the jumper settings didnt make a difference.

I checked all the connections I could see and as far as I am aware there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I just tried a different hard drive in there (which was a really old 40gb) and it worked straight away, so it must be the HDD I was using.

Thanks for all your help though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
FWIW, the oldest drive I have that still functions (though it now sits on a shelf) is a 6GB IBM DeskStar. Unfortunately though, I found that as time went on, they seemed to steadily downhill. Now (in order of my preference), I use only Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung drives. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Mark

OP
C
Reaction score
Well if i decide to buy a new HDD to go in, which drive would you reccomend?

Im looking for around the 100-200gb zone, depending on price.
Thanks alot guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.