What's a "strong" signal (airport)

Reaction score
I'm using an Airport Extreme base with an Airport Express downstairs to extend the range. I get all 4 bars on the Airport meter at the top of the screen.

For grins, I downloaded a few widgets that have signal meters -- they indicate 40-55% on their scales.

Which led to my question -- what is considered a "strong" signal? I would have thought that with my configuration I would have been 90% or better (the Express is only a few feet from the iMac downstairs, and this is a "standard" 2 story house -- no metal/brick walls, etc.).

V

vonstro

I've never been impressed with Apple's wireless products although they sure are a snap to configure. I still use an Express here in my study but I've changed out the Expreme Base for a Netgear Mimo wireless router and... wow, what a difference! Also, if I am outside with my laptop and have only a bar or two my machine is still fairly responsive, though it does load a bit more slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
So,...you put 100% percent faith in a widget? That's like saying everything on the internet is true!

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
No -- I've run several different tests, but nowhere does anyone ever seem to say what exactly a "strong" signal means. We've all been well trained to think "bars" is enough.

But, clearly, no one here seems to know either.

No big deal, just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I went through a similar thing-- I used iStumbler and noticed my wireless network usually reports in the 60-75 range, for whatever that's worth. I found that for me, that was a "good" signal.

I decided that as long as I was getting decent throughput and I have 3 or 4 bars, I'm good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.