Problem with sleep mode after lcd replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 2gb RAM 60g HD
Hello all. After much searching for an answer, I have decided to ask for a little help. I have an ibook 12" g3, osx 10.4.6, 600 mhz, 640 mb RAM, 20gb hdd, and combo drive. I bought it with a screen that had some yellowing and brown spots, but still functioned well enough and was still easy to read. Then, my wife wanted a new lcd. So, I purchased off ebay, and went to ifixit.com for directions. After 2 hours of eye-straining work, it was done. The new screen looks wonderful, but now the computer will only boot up to just past the blue loading Mac osx screen. I can see my wallpaper image, and my desktop icons. My mouse won't move, maybe not enough time loading? Then, approximately 2-3 seconds after I can view my desktop, I hear the cd drive whirr a little bit then the computer goes into sleep mode. The battery is charged. It will not come out of sleep mode when unplugged from the ac adaptor. When it is plugged in, tapping the spacebar will bring it out of sleep, only to hear the cd drive whirr and go back into sleep within the same 2 or 3 seconds. Any insight as to what is wrong? I have reset PMU and PRAM. Is it possible the magnet inside that tells when the unit is open or closed is misaligned? Would that cause this type of problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first mac, however I have extensive experience repairing electronics so I am doubting I shorted something out, although anything is possible! Thanks in advance, everybody.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, small update... When I boot while pressing command-option-o-f, I get an open firmware screen, but it doesn't shut down like I had problems with when booting into osx. Should I try to reload Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im pretty sure there is more than one plug to set up your lcd screen, could you have plugged one into the wrong spot?
-chris

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I think it may have something to do with the trackpad. When I plug in a usb mouse I can move the cursor around and click on anything for the few seconds the screen appears. The trackpad is nonresponsive though. Tonight I will tear into it again(third time, pretty soon I will be able to service an ibook with my eyes closed!) and see if I forgot to plug in that connector or if it is damaged. Thanks for the input, and I will keep you posted with my progress. This forum is very helpful to the mac newbie!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wahoo I fixed it! Well, sort of. I simply tracked down and unplugged the two wires coming from the reed sensor and it works fine again. Well, at least I can use it again until I pull the reed sensor out of my old lcd and transplant it into this new one. I will just have to manually sleep the computer, as without the reed sensor the display stays on even when closed. If anyone is in a similar situation wants help on how to do this, reply back or shoot me an e-mail, I'd be happy to help. It is not very difficult. Keep in mind this DEFINATELY voids any warranty you may have!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.