• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Building a home file/print server...

Reaction score
I'm currently peicing together a computer that will run Suse Linux 10.1 (KDE). So far I have purchased a few items, but not sure which motherboard/cpu/memory setup I should go with for it.

Its basically going to be a file/print server. This way I can print from any other computer on the network or grab a document, song, video, etc from it.

Stuff I already purchased are:

2 x 320GB WD SATAII 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache Hard Disks
1 x Sony 1.44 floppy drive
1 x Sony DVD-RW burner
(I currently have a spare microATX case with 350watt power supply)

I'm going to be using 10/100/1000 network since the speed is important when transfering gigs of data. The most will be 4-5 users connected to the linux box. I think 1GB of memory should be sufficient. I would prefer onboard video, but its not 100% neccessary. Any help choosing the right mobo/cpu combo would be appreciated. I would prefer going AMD also unless there is a good performing Intel CPU out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.