Can You Help? I've Messed Up Terminal.app Login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Oh boy! In my efforts to get the Terminal.app window to close when I exited the VE text editor (see my previous post about THAT topic) I created a bash shell script that just ran VE and then did "exit". I reasoned that if typing exit into shell windows manually closed the window, perhaps this would do the trick. It didn't.

When I right clicked in now dormant window and selected Windows Settings, which brings up the Terminal Inspector window, I noticed that for some reason the "When Shell Exits" - "Close This Window" radio button wasn't selected, even though it is my Terminal.app default.

So, next time I started VE by double clicking on the icon, I started Terminal Inspector again, selected the "Close This Window" radio button and then pressed the "Use Settings as Defaults" button at the bottom of Terminal Inspector.

MAJOR mistake! :eek:neye: Now, whenever I start Terminal.app, I don't get a shell window anymore, I get VE. When I quit VE, the window goes away! I have lost access to Terminal.app. Ackkkk.

Does anyone know where this is controlled from? How did I inadvertantly cause Terminal.app to execute VE every time, and how can I reset it back to just executing WHATEVER it was doing before? Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that you will need to start your system in single user mode and back out the changes you have made. After reading some of hte things you have done, i believe that you should have enough unix skill to remove your additions.

After that is done, you may want to look at an Apple script will open a terminal session, along with your VE editor. Whch will closes evrything upon the exit of the VE editor.

What I don't understand is, why is it so difficult about quitting the terminal application after you finish editing.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks rman. After Googling various and sundry terms (no pun intended!) I discovered that by simply deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist, I could eliminate the startup of VE and get back to normal. I had to re-establish all my Terminal.app defaults, but it was a small price to pay.

Re Applescript, this sounds interesting, but I know zero about it. Do you have any idea where could I find some really simple examples to look at? The quickest way to learn is by looking at what other people have done. I suspect that there are lots of Applescript scripts on this machine right now if I just knew where to look! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.