iBook Power-Up Issues - Help!

P

paleoecologist

I was finishing up a word document last night when my iBook (G4, OSX 10.3.2) shut down spontaneously. It was plugged in and had been for a couple of hours, and the battery (which was replaced last spring because of the battery recall of 2004, which I'd never heard about) was charged. I have since tried to boot it up and will sometimes get as far as the login before either a) the screen goes dark but I can still hear it on or b) it shuts down completely.

Once, last night, I was able to get all the way through boot-up and open Word before it shut down. I recently installed and had been running World of Warcraft, an online game which took up a sizeable amount of my memory, and when I'd close the game I was getting a memory error (though I should have about 1.5 gigs left). This seems like a virus to me, but it can't be, so I'm confused.

I'm a poor grad student, who of course hasn't backed up in a long time, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.