• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI Files.

I

inthesession

Hi all 1st post here... yay lol i turst i will have a warm welcome "hopes"..

anyways i have a small problem. ive recently been given about 60 avi files all movies by a friend that are over a series of DVD's. i wanted to know.. isit possible to convert these into something a normal DVD player can play ( none divx player ) ive read a few forums they all say why use a prog use idvd and imove, this doesnt work as it wont open any of my avi files / import them? unless im doign something wrong? any ideas on any apps i could use etc. thanks guys

take care all

Scott Edwards

OP
I

inthesession

Ok never mind sorry people. manbaged to find the answer using this site lol shoulda thought of that 1st.. ahh gone on a noob spree with forums ahh its been so long..

dl ffmpegX - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473

- where it says source format, drop your avi file there
- where it says target format, choose either DVD mpeg2enc, or DVD ffmpeg, mpeg2enc takes longer but quality is better(from my experience).
-under the options tab select author as DVD & encode with quicktime.
- then press encode... your result will be and .DVD folder that contains 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
- in ffmpegX yu can select the options tab and select the img tab
- select browse find your .dvd folder select go
- in disk utility drag that .img file to the let side and select burn

let me know how that works

Reaction score
inthesession said:
Ok never mind sorry people. manbaged to find the answer using this site lol shoulda thought of that 1st.. ahh gone on a noob spree with forums ahh its been so long..

dl ffmpegX - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473

- where it says source format, drop your avi file there
- where it says target format, choose either DVD mpeg2enc, or DVD ffmpeg, mpeg2enc takes longer but quality is better(from my experience).
-under the options tab select author as DVD & encode with quicktime.
- then press encode... your result will be and .DVD folder that contains 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
- in ffmpegX yu can select the options tab and select the img tab
- select browse find your .dvd folder select go
- in disk utility drag that .img file to the let side and select burn

let me know how that works
I use to use this one free program. I would convert the .avi files into .mpeg4 then I would import them into idvd. Now if I could only remember the name of that program.

ETA: I remembered, it's called isquint. The program is used for converting to ipod recognised files, but idvd also can read them.

OP
I

inthesession

poohfighter said:
I use to use this one free program. I would convert the .avi files into .mpeg4 then I would import them into idvd. Now if I could only remember the name of that program.

ETA: I remembered, it's called isquint. The program is used for converting to ipod recognised files, but idvd also can read them.

nice one ill try that mate. i tried it with the ffx prog and it was taking around 15 hours a dvd... too long when i have over 60 movies to do lol isquint only takes a few hours dont it?

OP
I

imacdoyou

Try Visual Hub. I use it regularly, it even works with Windows wmv files! It costs like 20.00USD or so but it's worth every penny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Has anyone ever realised that iMovie could also be a useful tool for converting video? It's what I use.

Reaction score
I use Divx Doctor to convert the avi to a quicktime movie and then use Quicktime to convert to whatever (usually vcd).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.