Keyboard / MIDI Controller Recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I'm interested in learning the piano along with doing some novice music composition with Garage Band and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the MIDI controllers that were available for Macs?

I've seen mixed reviews on M-Audio keyboards, but am also wondering if normal Yamaha/Casio keyboards are compatible with our PCs. I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 for (hopefully) a 61-key setup.

Also, has anyone had any experience with eMedia's Piano Method software, or have any recs on software for music/instrument education? I'd mostly be teaching myself...

Thank ya'! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
I have the microKORG which is fun live but also doubles as a MidiKeyboard it's pretty nice it's not the best synth in the world but a KORG for $400 isn't bad at all, a little out of the price range you were aiming for but if you could afford it I recomend it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
slyseeker said:
I'm interested in learning the piano along with doing some novice music composition with Garage Band and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the MIDI controllers that were available for Macs?

I've seen mixed reviews on M-Audio keyboards, but am also wondering if normal Yamaha/Casio keyboards are compatible with our PCs. I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 for (hopefully) a 61-key setup.

Also, has anyone had any experience with eMedia's Piano Method software, or have any recs on software for music/instrument education? I'd mostly be teaching myself...

Thank ya'! :headphone

Ditto on the mixed reviews of M-Audio keyboards. Some people love them, but I'd say the bottom line in this situation is that, if your first keyboard is one, you will not be learning to play piano. The touch and action and sensitivity of a piano, and of most synths, is totally different than M-Audio's stuff. For a while I was just using an ebay Yamaha job, with a MIDI-USB adaptor, which are on the order of $20-30. I later got a larger and more realistic MIDI controller keyboard, also off ebay, and I still use it.
To get started, all you have to look for is whether it has MIDI out. If it does, you can get a MIDI/USB connector and be set.

I'm entering my senior year as a composition undergrad, but I actually don't have any recommendations for piano software. I found the best exercise to be a simple hymnal, just teaching myself to read four parts at once and catch little ornaments and stuff. Bach's two-part inventions are great when you want a little more challenge along with a bit of a comp lesson.
I haven't used software much for keyboard, but have used it extensively for ear training. Alas, the program I use, Earmaster, is only available for Windows.

Reaction score
Well I've got the m-audio one and haven't had any problems. Keys are touch-sensitive but not weighted. My only bit of advice is go with as many keys as you can afford. I'm always wishing I had more of the keyboard to play on.

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured that would be the minimum and I'm just a beginner, kinda.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.