Need to host a webset.. need some information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
Well, my buddy just recently started a clothign company and is going to be purchasing a domain for his webpage. Now, I know NOTHING about webpage designing/hosting/etc..

I do want to learn web page design and would even like to help design his page with him.

Basically all he needs right now is a webpage and a site that will host an image and a "coming soon" as well as links to email addresses and phone numbers.

The domain would have to be able to host 3-7 email addresses, if not more and be able to be built up later on.

Can anyone link me to a site that will help me learn about designing and putting together a rather basic page for the time being? in the long run he's going to want a site that navigates very similar to this one:

http://www.todieforclothing.com

can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Thank you.

-Matthew

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, the computer i'll be using is a G4 Powerbook (1.33/512mb)

webpages are typicall all HTML correct?

J

Jonathan

Well for a site such as the one you posted, that would be more than just basic html. You would be getting into CSS and PHP/MySQL. Now I would love to help you out here, but when I get my Mac in 2 weeks I will be glad to teach you over an instant messenger or what not. Just post here what ya wanna know and I'll be happy to help ya :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jonathan, that would be FANTASTIC.

my buddy's looking at getting a domain at www.1and1.com

anything good about them?

I think www.dreamhost.com would be the way to go.

All he needs at the moment is a single page, with a picture, links to 3 emails ([email protected]) and a link to his myspace page.

what would he need for jsut that? and later on upgrade to be able to host a site like what I listed above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
He'll need to get a host, I would recommend Dreamhost and you can get the cheapest plan with the Mac-Forums discount.

99% sure he won't be able to host it himself. Most US ISPs block the ports necessary to host your own site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I sent you a PM with some info. also a google search on how to build a web site or HTML should bring up some sites to help you learn. however many of the sites today use a combonation of HTML, XML, PHP, JAVA and some others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
alucard said:
I sent you a PM with some info. also a google search on how to build a web site or HTML should bring up some sites to help you learn. however many of the sites today use a combonation of HTML, XML, PHP, JAVA and some others.
Why don't you also post the info here. Your answer may help others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
schweb said:
Why don't you also post the info here. Your answer may help others.

It contained a link to another webhost that I thought would help Matthew_love84 in case he wanted to compare hosting companies. Since you have a partnership with dreamhost i didn't want to step on any toes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I'd be happy to help design a website for you, pm me alex AT mgprouk.com

I can also host it for you, we have a few spare dedicated servers

Look forward to hearing from you
Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.