Window focus behaviour under X11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Hi all,

I have been looking into changing the window focus behaviour under X11. Specifically, I would like to be able to pass the focussing click to the window being focussed. In other words, I don't want to have to click the Gimp.app tool window to focus it, and then click *again* to select a tool - I want to just be able to click a tool and the window focus and click happen together.

This is easy to set up in most window managers, but I like the quartz-wm look and feel integration. If there is another window manager than can provide the same visual experience while allowing pass-focussing-click then that would do as a solution too!

Thanks,

--
C

Reaction score
There is a script which changes quartz-wm to use focus follows mouse. Try a search at macosxhints.com.

OP
cazabam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
OK, I'm feeling like a proper numpty now ... it's in the quartz-wm man page. I did check the man page, but I must have missed that bit. From the page:

Code:
[B]defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true[/B]
               Disables the default behavior of  swallowing  window-activating
               mouse events.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent! Thank you. I was just starting to wonder about this too - it was really annoying to have to double click all the time just to select an item in GIMP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.