common problems or not??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO 2.16Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 80GB HDD, 15inch
i am looking at getting a macbook pro however i have herd there are some problems with them! however i have herd mixed oppinions... could people who have had props please post them... and also people who think there great and especially people who know how to fix any previous problems

i think this might also be helpful for other people to have a cumulative section detailing any problems with this great piece of kit...

I

iRizzo

I have the latest revision and it has no heat problems, no whine, and I love it.

Reaction score
Same here recieved mine yesterday, put about 3-4 hours on it, no heat issue, no whine. everything was perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I had Used a MBP at an electronics store and it had no show of heat, I'm not sure about the whine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
i have a relatively older one, and no probs. except that i had to get my cd drive replaced because my kid sister stuck a knife into it and moved the knife around. ugh.....last time i trust my sibs with this awesome machine.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey thanks for the response so far. keep em comming, and shillat - - - nice one! :D

will j ford

Reaction score
Last night had a little freak out, the battery level was dropping really fast like mabye a percent every 10-20 seconds, i didnt have many programs open mabye safari, and itunes, and ichat. it said my ram was at like 112mb free, and my processor was like 89%....... i had a little yellow box pop up on the screen then go away. the pinwheel popped up one time. then i shut down and restarted...... has me worried.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the pinwheel popped up one time. then i shut down and restarted...... has me worried.

what is the pinwheel!

please excuse me for being dense when it comes to macs... (havent used on properly yet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The "pinwheel" is Mac's version of Window's hourglass. It means the processor is busy or hung up on a process. A lot of people call it the SBOD, or Spinning Beach Ball of Death.

It's not good.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Some people call it the spinning beach ball, some call it the spinning pizza, and also the pin wheel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Because it means an application has stopped responding to inputs. Sometimes this is normal, like when you're saving a large file, but sometimes the program is stuck in a loop and will crash without you saving. Basically, I could not see the SBoD and be happy...

I

iRizzo

I've seen it a couple of times but it hasn't done anything. It just came up for a couple seconds then went away. Should I be worried?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trust me, it was neither classic nor a "nice one"! :)

if I was gonna have a general complaint, though, it would be the battery life. kinda...iffy. I usually get 2 1/2-3 1/2, depending what I'm doing, and it's kinda a pain.

B

Blue Genes

I just bought a 2.16 MBP last week and I have no problems with it. It was running very hot; CoreDuoTemp showed 67-71 C. But since the firmware update, it runs around 27-31 C.
I have been mostly running the computer off of AC power, but I did notice the battery level was dropping unusually fast. I don't know how long it will last on pure battery power. I'll take it out with me tomorrow and let everyone know how it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if it'll last less because it's more powerful...

Reaction score
Blue Genes said:
I just bought a 2.16 MBP last week and I have no problems with it. It was running very hot; CoreDuoTemp showed 67-71 C. But since the firmware update, it runs around 27-31 C.
I have been mostly running the computer off of AC power, but I did notice the battery level was dropping unusually fast. I don't know how long it will last on pure battery power. I'll take it out with me tomorrow and let everyone know how it does.

did you drain it too zero and charge it full?

B

Blue Genes

Bonzaisushi said:
did you drain it too zero and charge it full?

No I haven't. I plugged it in when I got it, and I have been running off of AC power while it's in my house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.