Websites

J

Jonathan

I will have my new Power Book this weekend (I HOPE:)) and I was wondering about this. Should I pay for hosting, or run it all off of my new Mac? I know a lot of people do this because I heard your Mac should never shut off or something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well then talk to your parents. I just highly doubt your ISP will allow webhosting. Most have that port blocked.

OP
J

Jonathan

What's wrong with hosting your own server? Also, if I worked and got money on paypal, do you think anyone would be willing to buy it if I sent them the equal amount of money on paypal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Dreamhost accepts Paypal.

Hosting your own server can take bandwidth which ISPs don't like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
There are a bunch of different hosts with a variety of payment plans. If you are 16 you can get a checking account I think if your parents cosign, then you can use paypal to pay online with it and voila go from there. I use www.1and1.com for hosting they're pretty good.

Anyways, if you're going to have a laptop I'm assuming it won't be online 24/7, after all why get a notebook for only use in one location? Plus you might have the issue of changing IP addresses and stuff depending on how your ISp works. Just pay for dirt cheap hosting! :) I'm sure you can tell your rents you'll give them $5 a month and they can put the hosting on their card. Good luck!

OP
J

Jonathan

They think hackers can get their credit cards that's why I cannot use it online haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not get one of those pre-paid credit cards from a bank?

OP
J

Jonathan

You can't if you are under 18, right? Anyone know any good hosting companies that support PHP/MYSQL preferably unlimited, and is cheap that takes paypal :D

Reaction score
Jonathan said:
You can't if you are under 18, right? Anyone know any good hosting companies that support PHP/MYSQL preferably unlimited, and is cheap that takes paypal :D
sonataweb.net is who I resell for (they accept paypal). Good company, great support. An then there is me (seydoggy.com), I accept paypal. It is still a good idea to have your parents involved if you are going to enter into any contract with anyone that involves exchanging money.

OP
J

Jonathan

I'm good now, got some domains + free hosting from a friend who owns dreamhost servers and other servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.