I may switch back.

Reaction score
So I am thinking of returning my 3rd MacBook Pro. The first two had problems and now I am having some real annoyances on the 3rd. For those that missed my problem thread, the first had a bad screen(lit pixels all the way across the screen) The second randomly shut off. My current one is having this weird wireless issue. If the computer is rebooted, it will connect to my network, but not have internet access. It doesn't do it coming out of sleep, only on a restart. VERY annoying. Also, when it is plugged in it is blazing hot. I mean BLAZING!!! I have also experienced 2 kernal panics and a random (probably heat) shutdown. In the last 3 years with Windows XP, I have not seen a BSOD, yet I get 2 with OS X in a week. I really do like OS X alot, but I am unsure if it is worth all this frustration. I mean you pay a premium for Apple, but you don't seem to get a premium product in return. Am I crazy? Should I stick it out??? Also, on a side note, in the event I do return this, considering the current and past problems I have had am I gonna get slapped with a restocking fee? Thanks for any help or advice you can give in advance!

Reaction score
Cashmonee said:
So I am thinking of returning my 3rd MacBook Pro. The first two had problems and now I am having some real annoyances on the 3rd. For those that missed my problem thread, the first had a bad screen(lit pixels all the way across the screen) The second randomly shut off. My current one is having this weird wireless issue. If the computer is rebooted, it will connect to my network, but not have internet access. It doesn't do it coming out of sleep, only on a restart. VERY annoying. Also, when it is plugged in it is blazing hot. I mean BLAZING!!! I have also experienced 2 kernal panics and a random (probably heat) shutdown. In the last 3 years with Windows XP, I have not seen a BSOD, yet I get 2 with OS X in a week. I really do like OS X alot, but I am unsure if it is worth all this frustration. I mean you pay a premium for Apple, but you don't seem to get a premium product in return. Am I crazy? Should I stick it out??? Also, on a side note, in the event I do return this, considering the current and past problems I have had am I gonna get slapped with a restocking fee? Thanks for any help or advice you can give in advance!

sounds to me like you just got a faulty unit. it happens with the rev a's. but you certainly dont need to return it and switch back to windows completely. im sure your problem isnt uncommon. just return it, get a new one, and be on your way. the mbp's are too nice of machines to completely switch back to windows running hardware and xp o/s.

could you imagine if microsoft made its own hardware? hehe :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
macpwns said:
sounds to me like you just got a faulty unit.

Unless I read the original post incorrectly, this is his 3rd faulty unit. I think I'd be pretty discouraged too. :(

OP
C
Reaction score
Even if this unit is faulty it will be the 3rd unit I have returned! When does it stop? The closest Apple Store is 2 1/2 hours away. I can go every 2 weeks hoping to get a fully functional model, you know? But you are right. I really want this notebook to be what it promises it can be. The other thing that bothers me is the erformance is a little lacking. I figured the x1600 would perform a little better. If I were to return this, what would the chances of a n upgrade be, and what would it be to? I mean this would be the third return in 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
return it get your money back pay the 10% restocking fee and save up for the next revision and customize it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cashmonee said:

The Apple retail store I went to had a 14 day return policy, after which there's a restocking fee, in a case where the unit is not defective. I wouldn't think they'd charge you a re-stocking fee, but that's just my assumption.

If you really like OS X, and need a laptop, what about taking one more shot on either a refurb (very likely more thoroughly tested than a new one), or even looking for a good deal on a pre-Intel PowerBook? It might be quite a long time before we see Intel-only binaries. I guess there's a lot to consider. Whether or not you'll need/want to dual boot into Windows, for example. I can definitely understand your frustration though.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I would be seriously frustrated also. I try to tell everyone I meet that is interested in getting a Mac, to wait until Rev B models.. never a Rev A model. I have never purchased a Rev A model and have never had a problem, never had to return a computer, and all my computers run very very smoothly. But those switchers who this is their first time.. they don't know the whole Rev A thing yet.. so then they have to deal with it...

So hmm.. I would be extremely frustrated also.. and if I could I would get my money back and wait until Rev B or just keep returning it until you finally get one that actually works.. it's frustrating Im sure, but for those that the MBP are working for.. they really really love them.. so if I was in your situation, I would just keep returning until I got one that I could be proud to own and I would feel is worth the money I put out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
Yeesh, sorry to hear about that. I ended up having to return mine, tho had to wait six days for the replacement as I ordered online. The problem was that the whole case was slightly out of whack, so parts of it creaked, and the optical drive scratched some of my discs. No problems with the replacement thus far.

I would've thought you are entitled to a full refund if the machine is in any way faulty, tho it seems that they don't like to play up when you actually go to return them. Funny that ;) I think you've just been unlucky, there are plenty of MBP owners out there that are having a fine (or near enough) experience. If you're enjoying Mac, you may as well stick with it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well at the moment I am debating between another exchange for the problems I am now having or just a full refund. I think the only way I will exchange at this point is if they up me to the next model (I have a 2.0, next would be 2.16). Am I being unreasonable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cashmonee said:
Well at the moment I am debating between another exchange for the problems I am now having or just a full refund. I think the only way I will exchange at this point is if they up me to the next model (I have a 2.0, next would be 2.16). Am I being unreasonable?

Not in my mind. It's good business to compensate a customer for their trouble, and you've certainly had your share.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I can understand your problems and your frustration, when I bought my powerbook a little while back the logic board wouldn't read the lower ram slot, took me a month to find out but I took it back and they replaced it with the then, just released, DL SD model, 6 days later it died, I was feeling very discouraged at this point, so I took it back and they replaced the logic board, then later I find out about the lcd problem pertaining to that model and once more went back to the apple store, they replaced the lcd and I now have a (hopefully) problem free Powerbook that I wouldn't trade for anything. So I would say if you really like the machine and the OS keep trying, if you don't think it is a huge tradeoff to use windows then return it and maybe wait a few more revisions until they get everything worked out. In my case apple has me hooked, I can't stand using windows (never liked it even before using a mac) but I know how completely frustrating your ordeal is, and even now I feel like I can't completely trust the hardware in my machine, it was a bad first impression for apple but they did handle the customer service aspect well.

Reaction score
geekboy2000 said:
Unless I read the original post incorrectly, this is his 3rd faulty unit. I think I'd be pretty discouraged too. :(

haha...totally missed that....but HEY...look at what time the reply was at...by then i had been reading the forums for about an hour...lol

in any matter, i agree with a couple of the other people who say dont buy the rev a's...personally i always wait for a rev b product...but yeah...i would still be pretty pissed off...

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, I have another question. Will reinstalling OS X fix the wireless issue. Or is there a chance it will? I do believe there is a software problem not hardware. As for the heat, I really don't think any of these MacBook Pros do not run hot.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well I fixed the wireless issue. It appears that the Apple does not handle WPA well. With an open network it will connect at start up fine. Does everyone have problems running WPA?

Reaction score
Cashmonee said:
Well I fixed the wireless issue. It appears that the Apple does not handle WPA well. With an open network it will connect at start up fine. Does everyone have problems running WPA?

i personally use 128Bit WEP Encryption. save the password in the keychain. i only use a 128 bit encryption because...well quite frankly people in my neighborhood have open networks all over, so they obviously dont have a clue as to what they are doing...i just dont want them on my n etwork. :)

C

caveatipss

Murlyn said:
Yeah I would be seriously frustrated also. I try to tell everyone I meet that is interested in getting a Mac, to wait until Rev B models.. never a Rev A model. I have never purchased a Rev A model and have never had a problem, never had to return a computer, and all my computers run very very smoothly. But those switchers who this is their first time.. they don't know the whole Rev A thing yet.. so then they have to deal with it...

So hmm.. I would be extremely frustrated also.. and if I could I would get my money back and wait until Rev B or just keep returning it until you finally get one that actually works.. it's frustrating Im sure, but for those that the MBP are working for.. they really really love them.. so if I was in your situation, I would just keep returning until I got one that I could be proud to own and I would feel is worth the money I put out.

So will the very next iMacs that are sold be considered Revision B?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
caveatipss said:
So will the very next iMacs that are sold be considered Revision B?

Does B come after A in the alphabet Mr. Teacher?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
As techster82 tried to say so elegantly, yes indeed they will be Revision B, then C after that and so forth.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cavetipss, I have not really heard any valid problems overall with the iMacs. It's mostly Heat issues with the MacBook Pro and the so called Mooing with the Mac Books and a few other problems here and there. The Intel iMacs seem to be solid machines so don't wait. Not getting on your case either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Cashmonee said:

No, it's not. In fact, I'm surprised Apple hasn't replaced it with an upgraded model yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.