Streaming Video breaks up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The problem is simple: Whenever I stream online video in Safari using the Windows Media Player plugin, the video plays for about 10 seconds and then breaks up and refuses to play. I have tried resetting the buffer to a higher value (20, 30 and 60 seconds), changing the internet connection settings, nothing seems to make any difference. (Quicktime works just fine, BTW.) My internet connection is a 384 Kbps cable modem, broadcast over a secure airport extreme network. How can I fix this playback issue and have smooth streaming video playback in WMP?

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
[Bump]

Just a quick update, I've discovered that allowing the video to play for a couple seconds, hitting PAUSE, waiting a few minutes, and then pressing PLAY will allow me to see an entire video without any hangups. However, there HAS to be an easier way...

anyone else had this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Any update on this? My PC laptop plays fine when we go to rockstar.msn.com, but when my wife tries to watch streaming video from the site on her macbook, it pauses and is choppy. I've disabled IPV6 and used SafariSpeed

Thanks.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:

Just checked and I did download that and installed it in quicktime. When I run vids from rockstar.msn.com, they are choppy. They are meant to run in windows media player I think...

They work fine on my pc laptop. Any ideas? I've been searching all night and did the IPV6 thing and the VLC mod and the flip4mac thing...

Thanks!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
flip4mac plays wmv files in quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
flip4mac plays wmv files in quicktime

Right. When I play ANY streaming vid, whether its in quicktime or in Safari on the macbook it breaks up. But when I play the same thing on my pc laptop it works fine.

What else could be slowing down the internet connection? half duplex? I noticed that when I did an ifconfig -a that "half duplex" appeared, but I couldn't find a place inside os X where to change it and I don't have root privelages to change it using ndd...

So any ideas what else could be chopping up the video?

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post an example where you are having problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i've never had problems with flip4mac, try letting the whole movie load before you play it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
can you post an example...

Sure http://rockstar.msn.com. The webisode breaks up during play on my wife's macbook, but not on my thinkpad sitting right next to it...

I know waiting for the vid to load is an option, but I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) wait for the video to load. That's not the point of streaming video. :)

Thanks!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Runs fine for me in Camino with Flip4Mac.

www.speakeasy.net run a speed test there to see what you are getting and try it on your wifes machine also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Runs fine for me in Camino with Flip4Mac.

www.speakeasy.net run a speed test there to see what you are getting and try it on your wifes machine also

My speed on my pc is

Download Speed: 4211 kbps (526.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

My wife's macbook is

Download Speed: 5335 kbps (666.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 355 kbps (44.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

This leads me to believe its something with the video configuration or something to that effect. Typically when I'm surfing on her macbook, it's as fast as my thinkpad. But for some reason streaming video breaks up. Can I confirm settings for videos or duplex or something? Maybe something isn't set right?

Even when I watch the little dot during the test, it jumps a little. during the download test.

Thanks for any other insight...

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.