Dual monitor question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
I have an imac G5 (the model right before isight) what adapter do i need to do dual monitors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Your iMac has a mini-vga connector on the back, you can get a mini-vga -> VGA adapter and hook that up to any monitor.

It will only mirror your internal display though, unless you install something called the "screen spanning doctor" which will let you extend your desktop to both screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
Aptmunich said:
It will only mirror your internal display though, unless you install something called the "screen spanning doctor" which will let you extend your desktop to both screens.

I didn't know that either. I assume that goes the same for the Intel iMacs too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iPodJon120 said:
I didn't know that either. I assume that goes the same for the Intel iMacs too?
Yes, that goes with any NON-pro machine. PowerBooks/MacBook Pros and Power Macs are the only ones that will span the screen natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually: No!

All new intel based macs can span the display by default! Apple has finally stopped artificially limiting the software.

Also note that all intel based macs have mini-DVI (macbook, iMac) or regular DVI connectors (Mac mini, Macbook Pro) - not VGA anymore (thought you can buy DVI-> VGA adapters).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Aptmunich said:
Actually: No!

All new intel based macs can span the display by default! Apple has finally stopped artificially limiting the software.

Also note that all intel based macs have mini-DVI (macbook, iMac) or regular DVI connectors (Mac mini, Macbook Pro) - not VGA anymore (thought you can buy DVI-> VGA adapters).
I did not know that! It is about time they made it native on all machines. That being said, anything pre-Intel will need the spanning doctor, though.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.