HDR pictures

Reaction score
Hey guys, somewhat new to the forum. These are some Hdr pictures i took recently with the 1d. the first 2 shots are about 10 Raw Images each and the picture file was 108mb to work with while processing them, Took quite a while but im pretty satisfied with the way they turned out. If you guys havent tried HDR photography i encourage you to try it, Its incredibly fun to do, and the results are always amazing!

chainsweb.jpg

BArnweb.jpg

This last one, was another compiled of 7 Raw shots i believe, and somewhere in the blending of the layers while messing with the histogram that blue popped out, and decided not to fix it so whatever.

highwayfinal.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
What is HDR photography?

OP
B
Reaction score
HIgh Dynamic Range. What you do is take multiple exposures of the same image. usually you want to do 3 but you can do more, that way you get exposures and usually the whole image is exposed where as some images you will get a washed out sky, or a under exposed ground. This does it all. you adjust exposure through the shutter speed, not aperture. I took those pictures late sunset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hmm, interesting. Do you have to have any special cameras together? And do you just layer them in Photoshop?

OP
B
Reaction score
you can do it with any camera. You can layer them or if you have cs2 go to automate and look for Merge To HDR Function, it will allow you to merge all yoru pictures there. it becomes a 32 bit image so you can only clone and mess with the histogram and levels i believe. youll want to convert it to a Tiff image then to a 8bit image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Those pictures are awesome, I really like the one of the barn and the street.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I like the shot with the traffic best, gives a bit different look to the more normal black w/lights shot.

The barn has a bit of a halo around the roof area.

OP
B
Reaction score
Odin_aa said:
I like the shot with the traffic best, gives a bit different look to the more normal black w/lights shot.

The barn has a bit of a halo around the roof area.

and that halo wont go away :blind: its so aggrivating! i tried burning it but still no luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Did you do it yourself or with the HDR feature? If you did it with HDR, you can take a photo that most closely represents your sky and put that portion of the image there erasing the rest and using the opacity to get it looking right...that may be the route to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is pretty cool, so if i would go out and normally set my aperture at X for a shot and then step up it up one or two stops and then lower it one or two for the shots? i assume you need a tripod. but how do you compensate for things that might be in motion, like cars, swaying trees or grass in wind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For this kind of shot a tripod is a must. I prefer to use manual mode as your exposure compensation can change especially with an image that contains roads with cars if a set of headlights hits your sensor...

If you are selecting portions of the image to use yourself you can simply chose the photograph with say a tree that is exposed as you wish and erase that tree in the other exposures...with HDR it decides what is kept and what is thrown away.

One very basic use is a double exposure, where you set up on a tripod and expose two images. One image is metered for the sky, and one metered for the foreground. In this sort you only have one line to merge, the skyline and this is the simplest to play with while experimenting.

Bonsaisushi may have other processes to complete the task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Do they have to be in RAW format because I just used my Point and Shoot camera and used JPGs and got some weird results.

OP
B
Reaction score
DCraver said:
Do they have to be in RAW format because I just used my Point and Shoot camera and used JPGs and got some weird results.

no i just shot raw, because thats what my 1d was set at. and i wanted the best picture quality without having to worry about the white balance and what not set into the picture.

Did you have a tripod for the point and shoot? the problem with point and shoots is that unless your in full manual mode your aperture will change automaticly. that makes for a funky hdr picture its hard to combine a whole bunch of depths of fields and make a sharp image. where there trees or grass in the picture? that could have attributed to some softness in the green. But if you have a tripod and can hook it up in full manual mode on a point and shoot, and just adjust the shutter give it a shot. Try and shoot at iso 100 or 200 if your camera has that, you dont want to go much higher. I have not tried this with a point and shoot before, I know dslr's are easy. And im sure ps's are just as capable. just dont move the camera. i hope that helped ya.

oh ya did you use merge to hdr in cs2?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.