Take apart iPod

R

Rio Cruz

Help! I just dropped my iPod in a fish pond. How do I take it apart to dry it out and see if it will still work?

Thanks for any help!

Rio

OP
H

hardheart

i know that with cell phones and things like that if you get them wet (Not sure about dropping in a fish POND probably submerged in water completely) that if you don't operate it for awhile and let it dry out completely there will not be much damage. that is probably a few weeks to dry COMPLETELY. like, i've spilled beverages in my phone but while it was off. so, i'm not sure. there are places that you can take your ipod or send it out to and have it repaired.

OP
R

Rio Cruz

Thanks for the info. I actually got it apart. The plastic top part clips down onto the metal back. I used a thin blade knife to pry one side of the metal out away from the plastic clips and then was able to pry the whole thing apart. I suspect real technicians have a better way of doing it! ;^) I figured I didn't have anything to loose. I took it all apart, (the circuit board is held by tiny star screws, which I didn't have a screwdriver for, but was able to use a small flat blade screwdriver to unscrew them), dried it all off with Q tips and a hair dryer, put it back together and then reinstalled the software and charged the battery. It now works good as new. There is only a slight roughness to the edge where I pried it off. I call the whole exercise dumb luck!!!

RC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yikes that took some real schitzna or however you spell it! :)

OP
M

mikelee223

I think you can try to fix it. I've repaired a ipod that was dropped into a Toilet. And it worked fine after cleaning and drying .

OP
R

rcsskier

hardheart said:
i know that with cell phones and things like that if you get them wet (Not sure about dropping in a fish POND probably submerged in water completely) that if you don't operate it for awhile and let it dry out completely there will not be much damage. that is probably a few weeks to dry COMPLETELY. like, i've spilled beverages in my phone but while it was off. so, i'm not sure. there are places that you can take your ipod or send it out to and have it repaired.

"You've got some huge cahones!!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.