Buying a used iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4
Hi all,

Because of all the issues surrounding the mooing, whining, scorching MacBook I've decided to go for a nice 3 month old iBook in the meantime till the said issues are corrected. The only problem is that the guy I'm buying it from says he can't find the OSX disk! So, what do I do? Offer him a lower price and buy a new Tiger, wait till he finds it, forget the idea, or something else? Bear in mind I have Tiger running on my iMac G4 at home. Many many thanks especially to quick replies that solve all my problems....

Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
I haven't experienced any mooing and whining or whirring from my MacBook (I bought it on Saturday). I'll admit, the heat gets a little up there, but so does the iBook with prolonged use. At the very least, the heat is from the upper-left-hand corner rather than the lower-left-hand corner where your hand rests when you type. That's what I didn't like about the iBook.

I think the MacBook is a fine choice at a great price.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4
I suspected I'd get pro-MacBook replies, and don't get me wrong, on paper they are amazing. Just that I'm not ready for it yet. Maybe in 6 months when the second gen one comes out. Personally I think the issue of heat is related to the processor size - but who really needs 5 times the speed? What are they gonna do for an encore? Five times faster? I think they should've brought out something like a 1.5 ghz dual core instead of speed gone nuts.

Anyway, what should I do regarding the iBook because I don't really want to be put off?!

jon

Reaction score
Well i have just bought a 5 month old Ibook 1.33 for my dad, because i didn't want to go to the expense of a MacBook and for once i am put off by the noise and whine which i experienced even in the showroom.

Matt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.