Torrent Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 1GB ram 100GB hd
BitTorrent is horrible I dont know if its me or my computer but I have several torrents downloading and after about an hour they always stop. I have now downloaded Tomato Torrent and the torrents are taking forever any help would be greatly appreciated. I am having such horrible luck with torrents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I agree. I hear so many people say "I BitTorrented this", "I BitTorrented that", and yet every time I've ever tried it, it has taken forever just for the download rate to get above that of a dial-up connection, and then virtually forever to complete. *Many* times longer than would take via a web, FTP or usenet download.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 1GB ram 100GB hd
I just downloaded Transmission so far it seems to be working amazing, but that was the same with BitTorrent. Hopefully it will continue to work this well but so far I have only good things to say about it...It's by far the easiest torrent osx that ive used to date.

Reaction score
all you guys must remember that bit torrent is only as good as the number of people sharing. If the torrent is old or not very popular then you're going to have speed issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I agree with zeta101. Sometimes, even if something is really popular and lots of people are sharing, you can still pick a bad torrent. Look for the number of seeds and the number of leechers (most torrent search engines give those numbers as a value and as a percentage). The more seeds the better, and lower the leechers to seeds ratio the better.

In general, if there are a couple of torrents available for something I'm after that appear to have a good set of seeds, then I'll start two and cancel the slowest of the two. Don't forget that they sometimes also take a few minutes to get up to full speed. I downloaded the Ubuntu Dapper Drake ISO at 490KB/s (I'm on a 4Mb line) so it really does work!

As a final note, many ISPs (certainly in the UK, and I would imagine the US, not sure about anywhere else) throttle the traffic on bittorrent ports, or block it completely. One of the up-and-coming UK ISPs (TalkTalk) throttle the torrent traffic right down during the day, but allows unlimited use between midnight and 8am. This could explain why some people just never see good speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Another issue with bit torrent is that most people don't open the ports necessary to make it work. If you don't open the right ports in your router/firewall speed will be slow.

Reaction score
I used a lot of bittorent clients on both PC and Mac. And all I can say that torrents actually works ALOT better on mac then on my PC. Download Azureus for mac, and make sure you open the ports you are going to use in the "Sharing" in System Preferences and then open the same ports on your router. Make a port test (google it, and dont use the one in azureus because its not always right) to see if its open, and if it is, you will notice a great boost in your dl speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
ldjalal said:
I used a lot of bittorent clients on both PC and Mac. And all I can say that torrents actually works ALOT better on mac then on my PC. Download Azureus for mac, and make sure you open the ports you are going to use in the "Sharing" in System Preferences and then open the same ports on your router. Make a port test (google it, and dont use the one in azureus because its not always right) to see if its open, and if it is, you will notice a great boost in your dl speed.

Can you explain that in a little more detail, I'm a ports/router noob :biohazard

Reaction score
Well basically you need to open up ports in your firewall and your router in order to get top speeds in Azureus, or any other torrent software for that matter. Im not no a mac, so I cant explain in EXACT detail, so here it goes. Download Azureus for mac. Install it, and dont go through the setup wizard yet. Now go into System preferences on your mac and then into "Sharing" (I think its the yellow folder icon). Then go into the "Firewall" tab and click on "new", choose other and name it how ever you want (eg. Azureus, Bittorent...) and add the TCP and UDP port numbers. The standard port is 6881, but you can look around and choose other ports. So in both TCP and UDP add this "6881-6899", depending on the port and the range you can always modify it. Save everything and do exactly the same thing in your router settings. You can usually access your router through 192.168.x.x The numbers usually vary depending on your model. Once your inside your router configuration, just open the same ports for UDP and TCP and you should be fine. Hope this helps. If not, there are hundreds of guides on how to configure Azureus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.