Cloned HD to External FW drive, wont boot

S

seanieb64

Hi,

I was recently graced with a Lacie 250 GB external FireWire drive, I was stoked, since I'd wanted to install Ubuntu, too hard to config to run pff of the firewire drive, so, I used CarbonCopyCloner to clone my internal HD, and put OSX and my files on the FireWire drive, then put Linux on the internal drive

One problem. The drive has been successfully cloned, but will not boot...

Any suggestions? :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
have you been holding the option key down when booting in order to bring you to the screen that lets you choose your boot drive?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I haven't used CCC in awhile but I believe there is a preference to "make it bootable", you need to have chosen that if you wanted to boot from the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Also, I've seen cases where it (for some reason) works best to first erase the *TARGET* disk using Disk Utility, and *then* use CCC to clone the drive.

OP
B

Badger

You don't mention the hardware you are running; some older Macs will not boot from an external Firewire drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.