Scan Wirelessly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a scanner with the airport express base station. I have it set up now and can print wirelessly with both my macs, but have been unable to scan with my all in one Brother mfc-210. When I plug the all in one directly into the machine I can scan but its a pain to have to un-plug and plug when I want to print or scan. any help would be appreciated.

OP
fyrman22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Wow nuthin? Has anyone been able to scan wirelessly? This might drive me crazy......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Found this old thread and decided to resurrect it because I am also unable to scan from my Canon Pixma MP480 to my MBP wirelessly. When I plug the USB cable in directly, I can scan with no problem, but with it plugged into my Airport Extreme base station, it says "Cannot communicate with driver" and will not let me scan. I've tried downloading some drivers I found online to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have tried for many hours to get my Canon MP560 to scan wireless, but no avaial.
Wireless printing is great, but maybe scanning is not possible.

I'll keep on searching and apply the ' try and error ' method with different configuration settings.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
While i had no luck with the Canon MP 760, the current Brother MFC-885 will scan wirelessly to either iMac on my LAN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Collin,
Did you had to apply any special features either on the Mac side or on the printer side ?

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

USUALLY -- but not always -- the manufacturer of said printer will state on their support website whether wireless scanning is supported under (version of Mac OS X you are running).

Some companies support it for PC but not Mac, though as you might expect this generates a lot of complaints. Some don't support WIRELESS scanning at all, which kinda defeats the point of the AIO being wireless IMHO.

A recent sub-$200 HP AIO I picked up from a client at Costco (was still there last time I checked) specifically mentioned wireless scanning being supported on the Mac, and so it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both iMacs were scanning on 10.5.8 but after upgrading mine to SL there was an issue. But after some messing around and the latest from Brother it came right. Now it seems the 'Apple > Software Update' seems to take care of it all. Having said that i have not had the need to do an install/sort out since doing 10.6.1. Wife wont let me upgrade her from 10.5.8 but will advise if i get the Green light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I heard that most bargain all-in-one printers will not scan over a network, so if you want to scan wireless, you have to get a higher end unit. I'm cheap so I'm fine with plugging the scanner into my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The HP's that are networked all seem to with SL .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Canon MP 620 would likewise not scan wireless until I downloaded and installed the latest Canon software for the printer. Latest wireless software is supposed to support Snow Leopard - which it does. I could not scan wireless using Leopard and the supplied drivers for Leopard.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tested it and yes with Snow Leopard the App Image Capture will find wireless printer and load a scan - no Brother drivers needed in my case.

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.