Windows user going to Mac - Where to buy?

S

Sam_A

I've been a PC user forever, but have decided to switch to the Power Mac G5 2.3Ghz dual core for photo and video editing. Recommendations on where to purchase a G5 at the best price would be much appreciated.

Thanks! / ~Sam

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
Well I would purchase it at an Apple store, because I just love the way the store looks, and they have a larger selection of stuff, and better people to help you (I Think). Don't you get like a printer when you buy any mac? I got one with my iMac, and MacBook Pro, but thats because it was a rebate.

Reaction score
http://store.apple.com, then click the big red tag down on the right for refurbs, that'll probably be your best deal. They are good as new and they come with a warranty, great way to save a couple hundred dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Or wait for the new intel powermac that is soon destined to be released.

OP
M

McNewbie

Depending on what you want ofcourse, but if your really not that fussed about having the intel core duo processor then this is the best time to buy a G5 as it's soon to be discontinued if not already and most places including Apple online are selling it cheap. Refurbished on Apple online is definetly the best & cheapest way to go. I'm quite sure you can even add Applecare to the refurb items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
makwanad said:
Or wait for the new intel powermac that is soon destined to be released.
I'm guessing that won't happen until at least August at WWDC.

Reaction score
I'm not really convinced that the Intel PowerMacs will be so killer. I wonder if they will come out anytime soon at all. Maybe by winter.

I mean a Quad G5 still is frikkin' fast, and if Intel already has an answer - well I'll be ****ed.

But a dual core 2.53 GHz should actually fit your needs effortlessly.
Intel chips are just driving everyone up the wall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
schweb said:
I'm guessing that won't happen until at least August at WWDC.

Yeah it says on macrumors they are gonna be showing it off running the new OS, I guess when it comes to buying my new macbook (will i ever get it?) then it would be around the time leopard comes out.

OP
M

Mikhail

Apple Stores are awesome, but you can't beat MacMall for a good deal. Unless you have a business or student account at Apple, I would opt for MacMall over the Apple Store. They have an automatic discount and more rebates than I've seen anywhere.

www.macmall.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Mikhail said:
Apple Stores are awesome, but you can't beat MacMall for a good deal. Unless you have a business or student account at Apple, I would opt for MacMall over the Apple Store. They have an automatic discount and more rebates than I've seen anywhere.

www.macmall.com

WOW! Great site. Wish i found this site sooner.

OP
S

saajuk-khar

what about buying a mac abroad?

i'm Portuguese (EU) and in 19 years i've only seen one apple shop in my country. is it a good place to buy or should opt for the online applestore/ online macmall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
About a month ago, I did exactly the same thing - changed from PC to Power Mac G5, mostly for photo editing and music. The new Intel Power Macs (or whatever they are going to be called) won't be as fast as the current G5's at things like Photoshop because the new Macs will be Intel and Photoshop is PPC - it will have to be emulated under Rosetta. For the fastest Photoshop engine around, likely for the next calendar year, get a Power Mac G5.

I bought the exact same machine you are looking at - dual core 2.3 GHz with lots of memory. I *love* it. It is a great machine.

After lots of looking around, I bought on line from www.macconnection.com. They offer better prices (in this case, a $150.00 rebate on the Mac itself), plus an awesome selection of other stuff. I also picked up a Viewsonic monitor there for about $100.00 less than anywhere else, AND Microsoft Office for Mac (also PPC by the way - doesn't run very quickly on Intel Macs) for about $20.00 less than anywhere else.

Finally, and this is the killer, in many states you won't haver to pay tax. The Apple Store, much as I love it, is obliged to charge you tax.

So, buy on line and save dollars!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.