Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hi.
I recently purchased a macbook and want to install bootcamp to run xp.
It says that I should install xp sp2 but I only have XP SP1. Could I just install XP SP1 and download SP2 update?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
ok, so you apparently didn't read the sticky announcement at the top of every forum on this site. Bootcamp questions belong in the Windows forum. Moving this there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
schweb said:
ok, so you apparently didn't read the sticky announcement at the top of every forum on this site. Bootcamp questions belong in the Windows forum. Moving this there.
Proof that stickies DON'T work. People never read them. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's why I've decided to publicly call out people who don't read them ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
ugh... READ THE BOOT CAMP MANUAL!!!! IT SAYS WITH A WARNING SIGN AND EXCLAMATION MARKS IN A SPEARATE BLUE BOX (at least I think it's blue...):

"WARNING: You cannot install any earlier version of Windows XP SP2, or install a cd with SP1 then upgrade to SP2..."

Sorry for being kinda full-on, but so many people have asked this...

What you COULD do is use Nero to slipstream an SP1 cd into an SP2 cd... there are MILLIONS of tutorials on how to do it, google slipstream windows SP2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
There is a way around things though! I did it this way myself, so feel free to try it on your own.

1 Download nLite. http://www.nliteos.com/

2 Download the network install version of SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

3 Copy your SP1 CD files into a folder on your hard drive

4 Follow the instructions in nLite to roll the service pack into the install files and burn a new SP2 CD.

I found the process to be pretty straight forward, but if you run into any snags, post about it here and/or send me a private message. I will than do my best to help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.